I want to install a cigarette lighter on a motorbike to power a 167w phone charger. Feasible? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss I want to install a cigarette lighter on a motorbike to power a 167w phone charger. Feasible? in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Draisee

DIY
Reaction score
Bike is DC, an older motorbike. Charger will be used to draw no more than 60w. How can I make this work, safely?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, 12v. Want to run it through the ignition switch and a relay (turn on ignition, it comes on. Turn it off, it disconnects).
[ElectriciansForums.net] I want to install a cigarette lighter on a motorbike to power a 167w phone charger. Feasible?

I just want to know if the motorbike will be able to handle all that power without any side effects. Here is the ignition switch circuit diagram.
[ElectriciansForums.net] I want to install a cigarette lighter on a motorbike to power a 167w phone charger. Feasible?

Last edited:
60 watts is less than 3 amps which is fine with the engine running, is the 167 watts an error?
No it's not actually. This is the car charger I want to use. You say 60 watts is fine. How about 100 watts?

As an Amazon Associate Electricians Forums may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases.
Haven't got a clue about the electrics but that homer image is a good one!! 👌

As an Amazon Associate Electricians Forums may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases.

Reply to I want to install a cigarette lighter on a motorbike to power a 167w phone charger. Feasible? in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net