Immersion tripping after new bathroom | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Immersion tripping after new bathroom in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi. We have an immersion heater tank on economy 7. We have had no issues with this since moving in 3 years ago. We have just had our bathroom renovated including an electric towel heater wired in. From the very next day our night time immersion switch keeps tripping. Our decorator tells us there is no connection but it seems a large coincidence. He has tried to get the immersion out to replace it but was unable to so says the tank needs replacing. Can you please let me know your thoughts and if there a likely connection. Thanks

Why not suggest getting someone (electrician) to fix it and take it off the balance? It is possible that the electrician put the towel rail on the same circuit as the immersion heater, which would be a mistake. So hopefully they did not.

If the immersion circuit was a 24 hour supply wired in 2.5 back to the CU I'd be happy to run a towel rail from it on an independent SFCU.

how would a decorator test it.... with a sheepskin roller?
No Tel he would just paint a pretty picture, seriously, if the water tank if full of deposits from the immersion heater it could be difficult to remove, needs some testing doing before any conclusions can be drawn.

Our day switch is not tripping. We have never used it as always used the night time switch. He has suggested swapping them over and re wiring so that the night time one is then on the non tripping switch and vice versa. Would that be a good solution or is it only a quick fix?

The chap who did the bathroom, who has been with an electrical tester since and looked at the immersion. 1 other question too, if the day switch is not tripping, if we turned that on for 2 hours per day, how would the costs compare roughly to having the night switch on all night?

It would be fine to give you hot water for now Sarah but around twice as expensive to run on daytime rates. I'd say the night time Economy 7 immersion would cut out on its thermostat within a couple of hours anyway. [When working].

Hi,you need to say,what is tripping, Is it an MCB,the RCD,or a separate unit,protecting that circuit?

Your decorator/plumber/electrician,must have tested the element,before attempting to remove it? Or was that a guess?

I feel your trilogy of artisans,may be running you round in the circle of apathy,and you may find,employing a fresh,independent electrician,would give you a result and some professional advice to pass on.

Always remember the Latin maxim "Novamura Anaglypta Mattflock":):):)

The chap who did the bathroom, who has been with an electrical tester since and looked at the immersion. 1 other question too, if the day switch is not tripping, if we turned that on for 2 hours per day, how would the costs compare roughly to having the night switch on all night?

Do you mean he borrowed a tester or brought a competent spark with him?

Back to the issue, given you've had work done, then this is where any investigation should start.

As for the "off peak" circuit - to undertake proper tests on this and the actual immersion would take less than 1 hour - then you will know whats wrong.

I don't know what an MBA or R&D are as I'm not an electrician. The electrical switch where all the switches are (in the boxes where you turn the electricity on and off) there is one marked immersion. When we turn on the night time switch in the airing cupboard, the immersion marked switch in the electricity box flips down

sounds like a MCB (minature circuit breaker) tripping due to an overload or a short circuit. however, if the MCB has a test button, it incorporates a RCD . the only way to test for the fault is with something like this:
[ElectriciansForums.net] Immersion tripping after new bathroom

not something like:
[ElectriciansForums.net] Immersion tripping after new bathroom

As above, get a proper electrician to a) see how the towel rail has been connected, and to what circuit and b) test the circuit and find the fault.

It does sound like the MCB is tripping, meaning an overload (too much current being drawn) is occurring. I'd be suspecting that the immersion circuit has either been used for the towel rail, or damaged in some way.

Did the electrician give you a certificate for the work done? (I can already sense much use of the 'optimistic' icon!)

Let us know what they say.

The decorator did the bathroom and an electrician came to do the towel rail that he knew. He fitted a switch in the bathroom and another in the hall. The decorator then came back to look at the immersion, he a plumber also, not just a painter and I did see an electrics tester being used

You either need a Heating Engineer or an Electrician with Plumbing confidence / experience.

The decorator did the bathroom and an electrician came to do the towel rail that he knew. He fitted a switch in the bathroom and another in the hall. The decorator then came back to look at the immersion, he a plumber also, not just a painter and I did see an electrics tester being used

You either need a Heating Engineer or an Electrician with Plumbing confidence / experience.

Reply to Immersion tripping after new bathroom in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net