Installation resistance of 0.39Mohms n -e | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Installation resistance of 0.39Mohms n -e in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

I work as a trainee engineer having (been lucky) got out of domestic.

It is however people like you iamelectric who give people in the factory and the general public the idea that "ah it's just a few cables electrics is easy innit"

heres some good advice for you jim , have a look around this forum and you wont be long in finding the guys on here that want to help people , the guys that know their stuff and dont mind sharing it , add them as friends and then msg them in future for help , then you will learn and wont have to deal with all the other know it all clowns

Good luck Jim! Lucky you didn't find this after a CU change :grin:.

This is something I need alot of practise on too!! I had a 0 MΩ N-E and split the ring and eventually after 3 hrs found a box screw just slightly bitten inro the neutral!! The point is I dont think you would have a reading of any ohms if they were actually touching, a part from that I cant be of any more help. I also dont see how it could be anything plugged in if your L-N is ok!!

Hi Happyhippydad :)

re: the 0.39Mohms I don't think that would trip an RCD anyway. Its still alot of Ohms! 390,000.

heres some good advice for you jim , have a look around this forum and you wont be long in finding the guys on here that want to help people , the guys that know their stuff and dont mind sharing it , add them as friends and then msg them in future for help , then you will learn and wont have to deal with all the other know it all clowns

I think that you'll find a lot of us who you consider "know it all clowns" have actually helped a lot more people than those who just come on here to tell those without a clue that it's fine to learn on the job in peoples' homes.
I don't mind helping anyone with a genuine problem, including DIY'ers, but one thing I can't stand is to see people taking homeowners' hard-earned cash, when they haven't had either the training or experience. If the op is doing this for free, as part of his work-experience, then I take it all back.

For those who are saying we should all just be helpful and not criticise, the basic process goes something like this:

Discuss the reported fault with the client and gain all the info you can. Remember clients don't know what they are talking about so you have to interpret what they say.

Have a good look at the relevant parts of the installation. Use your instincts and experience to identify the obvious potential causes where possible.

Test the circuit to see what kind of fault you may have. Use an analogue megger and use your experience to interpret the way the needle moves as well as the actual result.

If appropriate split the circuit in half and test each half.

Split the faulty half in half again and continue doing so until you find the fault.

Not a lot else that I can tell you really, fault finding relies heavily on knowledge, intelligence, experience and instincts. Luck can sometimes play a part too.

Jim there are some common things you will come across that course this type of reading. Look out for things like neons or an outside light spurred off the RFC. As stated make sure every socket has bee located as you said it is difficult to get to some of them. After a quick look around checking the obvious then start breaking down the circuit you will soon find the cause

^^^^^ what are you dribbling on about?
yeah murdoch not sayin spoon feed his just sayin theres no need to have a go at the guy

You think that the comments on here were "having a go"? Try actually completing an apprenticeship and training in the real world, then you'd learn what "having a go" is really like.

For those who are saying we should all just be helpful and not criticise, the basic process goes something like this:

Discuss the reported fault with the client and gain all the info you can. Remember clients don't know what they are talking about so you have to interpret what they say.

Have a good look at the relevant parts of the installation. Use your instincts and experience to identify the obvious potential causes where possible.

Test the circuit to see what kind of fault you may have. Use an analogue megger and use your experience to interpret the way the needle moves as well as the actual result.

If appropriate split the circuit in half and test each half.

Split the faulty half in half again and continue doing so until you find the fault.

Not a lot else that I can tell you really, fault finding relies heavily on knowledge, intelligence, experience and instincts. Luck can sometimes play a part too.

That's me knackered then!! :(

Any luck finding the fault or getting a little nearer to it. Don't forget the dreaded hidden buried or tucked away joint box. Its always a little harder to find faults with this sort of reading but with a little bit of forward thinking hopefully you will find it. I take it its a ring final so at least you can I D the faulted leg!

Iamelectric

You type your comments like one of those spoilt teenagers. The sense I get from you is that you're a have a go Charlie. Something the industry has plenty of now.

Fault finding is a skill that I've learnt through work and an apprenticeship.

Blokes shouldn't be out there charging for it if they cannot do it. You should be supervised by an appropriate adult electricity is dangerous ;)

what appliances would give N-E reading like his

I also can not see how an appliance plugged in would give this reading and would be interested to know? I would like to follow this with some idea of what I think it is rather than be spoon fed as 'as mentioned' it doesn't really help someone learn, but for the life of me I cant see why something plugged in gives this reading. A L-N reading yes, but I would think a low N-E IR reading would indicate some kind of fault or rather a poorly insulated cable (damp/very old cable/damaged cable??)

Is it an old property? If it is look out for a a socket on an external wall which may have discoloured the paint around the socket. This would indicate a corroded metal back box. If nothing obvious I would still check all sockets on external walls Also have you checked the loft for any sockets especially a tv aerial booster

Reply to Installation resistance of 0.39Mohms n -e in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net