Insulation Resistance test in FICA | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Insulation Resistance test in FICA in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

rob1993

hi there I have my FICA in a couple months time and generally feel pretty confident but not too sure about the insulation resistance. I know how to test it just not sure of what precautions to take and how many tests need done? also how many times do I need to flick the light switches so that I have tested all pass wires?? also do I insulaton resistance test the motor on its own?

any other advice for the FICA would be appreciated aswell thank

Search through the site there will be plenty on here about it. Not sure how much they have changed the FICA in recent years since I done it.
If it's 2 way switching then operate both switches so that the strapers are tested
again I'm not sure if it's been change but when I sat the aica it was a global IR test that was carried out so don't want to say yes or no! If you are up to speed on everything then you will be fine, depending on how you are doing on the day the guys will go easy on you if you are able to show you know what your doing

thanks, Its now 2 way and intermediate switching now so I was thinking if I switch each switch once then that should be enough. I think it is a global IR test still so that's why im not sure how many things do need to be dsconnected! I do think im upto speed just want to make sure I get it spot on haha

If you have two way or intermediate switching for lighting in a circuit then the guidance is to operate each switch in turn and test after each switching action.
Remember that unless you have double pole switching then this need not be applied to the Neutral to earth test, only to tests involving the line conductor.
This is what you should do on an exam.

(In reality if you have three wire wiring for switching if you were to test and then operate one switch and test again this will cover all the line conductors.
This does not work for two wire wiring where ideally each switch would be operated to be sure of your testing.)

If you are doing global testing then all voltage sensitive equipment should be disconnected and linked out e.g. RCDs, Dimmers, electronic controllers, fluorescent lights, etc.
For individual circuits only those sensitive items on that circuit need to be removed.

okay thanks Richard that makes sense, what would you advise on motors for IR? should I only test to the isolator and leave out the rest of the circuit? only problem is i then I wouldn't b testing from the isolator to the motor

Either link out the isolator so it is not in circuit and perform the IR test on the supply and feed to the motor, or disconnect entirely and test up to the isolator and then test after the isolator up to the motor, take the lowest reading to record.

Reply to Insulation Resistance test in FICA in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net