Intermittent shock at kitchen sink | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Intermittent shock at kitchen sink in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

vbyrne

-
Reaction score
I was called to a job Friday past,the lady of the house and her children are getting shock's from the kitchen sink. First thing I tested was the sink live, no normal. I then tested the earth which is TT and got a reading of 97 ohms I then tested the 10mm earth going to the water stopcock no problems there either. I then tested the three trips that are in the DB 3
30 Ma trips and all disconnecting with in the times . Any body any ideas??
cheers

Can you elaborate how the DB is configured. From what you have written, I am thinking is this three separate RCDs, or RCBOs in the DB? I presume all circuits are on an RCD, and these are modern RCDs and not some old Voltage Operated device?
it's a three din rail DB WITH a RCD on each rail controlling b type mcb's the house was rewired 2 yrs ago. A good job was done on it looked at the overall job just to see what I was really looking at but it is sound

That won't cure it! It will either mask the problem a bit or it'll cause a nice bang to help you find the real cause of this. Or it might do nothing at all if they are metal pipes connected to metal taps on a metal sink, a bit of copper won't change the continuity there much.

If this install is only 2 years old then what's with the cross bonding? It's not something you see going in under sinks much these days!

I has something similar once. Turned out that the kitchen ring had broken cpc in 2 places, the washing machine was running in the section that wasn't earthed and had a small earth leakage fault on it. The sink, being bonded was providing a fault path when ever the lady was emptying the machine with her arm resting on the sink, or was in contact with the sink and any other metal appliance/socket in the area. I would test the kitchen circuits if you haven't all ready just to be sure the fault isn't elsewhere.

I has something similar once. Turned out that the kitchen ring had broken cpc in 2 places, the washing machine was running in the section that wasn't earthed and had a small earth leakage fault on it. The sink, being bonded was providing a fault path when ever the lady was emptying the machine with her arm resting on the sink, or was in contact with the sink and any other metal appliance/socket in the area. I would test the kitchen circuits if you haven't all ready just to be sure the fault isn't elsewhere.
i will do that,cheers.

That won't cure it! It will either mask the problem a bit or it'll cause a nice bang to help you find the real cause of this. Or it might do nothing at all if they are metal pipes connected to metal taps on a metal sink, a bit of copper won't change the continuity there much.

If this install is only 2 years old then what's with the cross bonding? It's not something you see going in under sinks much these days!
i think the bonding was not touched during the rewire,if I was rewiring and there was earth bonding I would not pull it out, would you????

Reply to Intermittent shock at kitchen sink in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net