Inverting old planer jointer motor | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Inverting old planer jointer motor in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've come across an old but trusty planer jointer with an old motor on it. But the way I want to re-assemble the machine makes it so I have to invert the rotation for the motor. I've tried a few things I've read but I probably messed up as it only resulted in poor speed and slow start-up (and huge power draw, so the capacitor may have been bypassed) despite finally going in the right direction. So for now I've rewired the terminal box as it used to be and the motor is fast and torqy again (but of course rotating in the opposite direction I want)

Here's the motor plate, it's a monophase 220v from the 80s with a big capacitor
[ElectriciansForums.net] Inverting old planer jointer motor

here's how the terminal box is arranged :

[ElectriciansForums.net] Inverting old planer jointer motor

Could you help me rewire this bad boy so it works well in the opposite direction ?

Thanks a lot !

TL;DR
Need to invert rotation of old motor by rewiring the terminal box, can you guys help ? diagram included
Do you have a test meter of any kind?
if so, disconnect all four wires that go into the motor and check for a low resistance between them. You should find a low resistance between two of them, a low resistance between the other pair and infinite resistance between the two pairs.
Reconnect the wires, but swap over one of the pairs.
Beware of touching the capacitor connections if power has been applied to this motor recently. They can bite.

Reply to Inverting old planer jointer motor in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net