is it just me? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss is it just me? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
as title. do you all scrap your offcuts or save them for that small job. e.g. extra socket 2m run, or scrap it alla nd just use a new drum.

[ElectriciansForums.net] is it just me?

Well... in my store I have a bucket for T&E and another for singles - the scrap man I use pays more for singles. I do keep loads of off cuts - then forget I have them! I'm going to be first fixing our extension very soon, so time to go through the off cuts and rolls on the shelf and use them up!

Yep, any bit that is worth saving gets saved. But my frugality usually manifests itself in not having any scrap bits due to tight measuring, excluding drum ends of course.

Don't even bother with saving scrap at today's prices.

SWA is the worst....got loads of coils/offcuts in various sizes but am not organised enough to label each coil length before chucking it in the store. So a job comes in needing 15m and because all the offcuts are of uncertain length I just get 15m from the wholesalers so I know it's right....was probably an offcut in the store for the job all along.

I get the apprentice to bag up all the off cuts and sling then in the van and store the bags up in the yard. Cashed them in just before Xmas and got just shy of £1800. One of the sites im doing at the mo is coming to an end so ripped all the SWA site temps out recently rolled them all up, labeled them all with how many meters. Last week I used them all on another site temp job.....result as been paid for the same bit of cable twice lol.

I get the apprentice to bag up all the off cuts and sling then in the van and store the bags up in the yard. Cashed them in just before Xmas and got just shy of £1800. One of the sites im doing at the mo is coming to an end so ripped all the SWA site temps out recently rolled them all up, labeled them all with how many meters. Last week I used them all on another site temp job.....result as been paid for the same bit of cable twice lol.

As the saying goes "look after the pennies and the pounds look after themselves"

£££1800??? Wow you must be doing big big jobs. I took 2 full rubble sacks full of t+e scrapped on a rewire, got 20 quid!

£££1800??? Wow you must be doing big big jobs. I took 2 full rubble sacks full of t+e scrapped on a rewire, got 20 quid!

A few biggish jobs last year. 13 flats, 19 flats and 3 houses, 11 houses, 3 story office block and a two story extension on a school. The 19 flats and 3 houses are on a big site that's rolling on for the next few years in total will be 72 flats and 17 houses.

I'm guilty of just binning it most of the time, I haven't got time to mess around with it and if you're not careful as said you just end up hoarding the stuff. Having just said that I've got 2 lads now so maybe time to get them collecting it and they can divvy it up at xmas time between them.

Also just remembered I've got some 500mm singles in the office, I might just keep them for myself, well I don't want to spoil the lads too much do I !!!

As a distribution apprentice in the 80's my team made the apprentice (me) strip the waste cable so there was no pvc so they got a better price, there were buckets in the van for aluminum, copper and lead. There were also waste bins at the yard but not much seemed to make it's way into them, happy days!:)

MI for a shed, that's a bit extravagant is it not?

Ridiculously extravagent and over the top, but it's going to look beautiful when it's done!
I've got a spare drum in the shed which has already been paid for by someone so I'm using it on this one as any other surface wiring would **** against a dark wood wall in my opinion (it's more of a home office/man cave/home cinema kind of room than a shed) plus I'm going to use it for a scheme assessment and I like to wind the assessors up wherever possible :) and if a 1.5mm 32A ring and a CU without anything terminated in the earth bar doesn't wind them up then I don't know what will.

Reply to is it just me? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net