is it just me? | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss is it just me? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
as title. do you all scrap your offcuts or save them for that small job. e.g. extra socket 2m run, or scrap it alla nd just use a new drum.

[ElectriciansForums.net] is it just me?

Ridiculously extravagent and over the top, but it's going to look beautiful when it's done!
I've got a spare drum in the shed which has already been paid for by someone so I'm using it on this one as any other surface wiring would **** against a dark wood wall in my opinion (it's more of a home office/man cave/home cinema kind of room than a shed) plus I'm going to use it for a scheme assessment and I like to wind the assessors up wherever possible :) and if a 1.5mm 32A ring and a CU without anything terminated in the earth bar doesn't wind them up then I don't know what will.

Haha trust you lol. Who you going with out of interest?

Plus I also have a trainee along who will benefit from learning how to work with MICC (after all, I earn a ridiculous amount in certain areas just because I can)

About 5years ago when worked slowed up a little bit I subbed to a firm and we done a fire station in MI. Haven't really touched much since but still have all the tools incase the occasion arises.

About 5years ago when worked slowed up a little bit I subbed to a firm and we done a fire station in MI. Haven't really touched much since but still have all the tools incase the occasion arises.

Ah, the occasion arises at least once a month for me, I've got myself a cushy little number doing odds and sods for a west end theatre which is listed and heavily regulated so it's MI everywhere. And when an hour there earns me about the same as a ten hour day doing domestic work locally I can't really say no!

Those clips are a bit far aprt there Dave..................and no termination via a coupling .............

Seriously nice work and just have the thought of this stroma accessor turning up and being completely flumoxed with that install. In fact not only Stroma I think you may find a few NIECIC accessors struggling with it

Those clips are a bit far aprt there Dave..................and no termination via a coupling .............

Seriously nice work and just have the thought of this stroma accessor turning up and being completely flumoxed with that install. In fact not only Stroma I think you may find a few NIECIC accessors struggling with it

Well that's what happens when you have to make a limited number of clips last for the whole job ;) it's all well within pyrotenax's recommended spacing though.

I decided not to use couplers as they make the whole thing look less pleasing to the eye. So I've put a brass nut onto the glands before going through the knockout to get the spacing right inside the box.

Of course, I've had a really **** week and I find doing that kind of thing almost therapeutic (yes I'm weird)

I'm going with stroma, hopefully they'll be better than elecsa were.

I too have ditched Elecsa this last month. Stroma might be on the horizon for me too. Elecsa was only ever a means to an end for me so cheapest is best to my mind.

Plus I also have a trainee along who will benefit from learning how to work with MICC (after all, I earn a ridiculous amount in certain areas just because I can)

Excellent! Get those skills passed on. There'll be not many left still on their tools that can do it in 15 or even 10 years time.
I haven't had the opportunity to get the MI tools out for a good 10 years now. I'd definitely need a few plays at it if I were to install some now.
Good looking install there Dave.

Nice job Dave.

I had to use couplings to terminate into back boxes, the sparks who trained me always did it as that was the way he was trained. His logic was that you put a strain onto the seal when fitting the socket/switch.

I was taught to do it too, but that the reasoning was to stop the gland and pot from filling up the enclosure and preventing the socket or whatever from fitting.
Also the coupler gives you space to slide the pot up it down a bit to get the cables dressed in perfectly.

[ElectriciansForums.net] is it just me?

This is my more usual way of doing it, and yes that is a standard plastic pattress (don't ask, the customer supplied it)

I did take pictures of every stage of the termination of that one with the intention of doing a full write up on here of how to do it, but that has been half completed for a couple of months now

View attachment 31533

This is my more usual way of doing it, and yes that is a standard plastic pattress (don't ask, the customer supplied it)

I did take pictures of every stage of the termination of that one with the intention of doing a full write up on here of how to do it, but that has been half completed for a couple of months now

You did very well drilling 2x 20mm holes in that box without breaking it !

You did very well drilling 2x 20mm holes in that box without breaking it !

Yeah, the customer very thoughtfully provided me with a spare pattress, just in case!
I actually managed it without cracking it, and got both MIs dressed in without cracking it.

Then I pushed my luck with the plate screws and heard the dreaded crack! [emoji35][emoji35][emoji35]

Needless to say the crack wasn't noticeable and the timeswitch didn't feel loose at all (plus it's adjusted very infrequently) so it stayed like it [emoji849]

ashhhh. that's his 4th box.

I was expecting it to go that way!

I came prepared with a metalclad backbox, and was very impressed when the customer presented me with a standard pattress because it would look better with the White timeswitch on it.

But they pay top dollar and always before the invoice due date so they can have whatever they want as far as I'm concerned!

When I was taught as an apprentice to use MI, we stripped the outer sheathing with side snipes and had a tool to create a clean cut, and another for compressing the pot, arrrgh those were the days. Then we got one of those snazzy stripping tools.

Electrician told us not to get the magnesium oxide on your skin, cos it'll make you infertile!

Still got all me old MI tools in me apprentice metal cantilever tool box at the back of the garage. Waiting for one of those antique road show programmes, where some idiot buys them off me for a small fortune.

All my MI tools live in a little ammo box.
I was taught the cutters method or to use a stripping bar (old screwdriver with a slot cut in it)
I've now got a joistripper, but it only does certain sizes, so the manual method still has its uses.

The tool to get the clean cut is a ringing tool, I've lost mine which has really annoyed me so I have to make the ring with a pair of cable shears at the moment

I was taught the cutters method or to use a stripping bar (old screwdriver with a slot cut in it)
I've now got a joistripper, but it only does certain sizes, so the manual method still has its uses.

The tool to get the clean cut is a ringing tool, I've lost mine which has really annoyed me so I have to make the ring with a pair of cable shears at the moment
You've jogged my memory we had to make a stripping bar at college. The ringing tool, I' sure I've still got one. Must be worth at least £500 :)

get a plastic backbox with white knockouts in, they dont crack and flex a little, they are a lot better.

how many times have you push a socket/switch back or overtightend the 3.5mm pins and crack.

ive only made a few mi ends off, it would be nice to do a job in it

Reply to is it just me? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net