Currently reading:
Is this cable cord suitable?

Discuss Is this cable cord suitable? in the Electricians' Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello,

I am an expat living in Estonia.
My wife bought this picture light box from a second hand shop. It seems hand made when I took it apart. Looking at the cable and how thin the wiring is, is this okay plugged in to 230v? It seems a very thin cable to me to be carrying 230v.

Attachments

• IMG_20240705_140842.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20240705_140931.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20240705_142916.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20240705_143102.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 27
The voltage rating on the cable appears OK, having said that there's plenty if dubious Chinese cable about.

Voltage rating is more about the thickness and type of the insulation, which claims to be adequate.
"Bursting into flames" is more a function of the current passing through it, which will be negligible when all is working as it should.
It's not likely to be subject to overload, if it's just a light, but short circuit is a possibility, so whether it ignites or not is dependant on the circuit protection device(s).

Voltage rating is more about the thickness and type of the insulation, which claims to be adequate.
"Bursting into flames" is more a function of the current passing through it, which will be negligible when all is working as it should.
It's not likely to be subject to overload, if it's just a light, but short circuit is a possibility, so whether it ignites or not is dependant on the circuit protection device(s).
Okay. Just can't imagine 230v flowing through such 0.5mm strands. In the box is simply lots of different elements as seen in the pictures.

Okay. Just can't imagine 230v flowing through such 0.5mm strands. In the box is simply lots of different elements as seen in the pictures.
0.5mm csa flex is fine for around 3 amps. It doesn't look as if anything in the box requires as much current as that.

Could you explain the innards? Presumably one of the electronics modules might provide power to the light or motor, and the other control the speed of the motor that gives the waterfall effect?

There might be a concern that putting those things in a flammable wooden box could result in a dangerous situation. If it was a commercial product approved for the market, it would typically be in an enclosure that didn't support combustion (or at least the electrical part would be, which would also provide electrical insulation), and would have an internal fuse. As it stands, there could be enough energy supplied by the flex to be able to create a fire, e.g. if there was a failure in an electronic module.

I'm not suggesting you abandon the picture, but it might be prudent not to leave it running unattended, or when the house is unoccupied!

0.5mm csa flex is fine for around 3 amps. It doesn't look as if anything in the box requires as much current as that.

Could you explain the innards? Presumably one of the electronics modules might provide power to the light or motor, and the other control the speed of the motor that gives the waterfall effect?

There might be a concern that putting those things in a flammable wooden box could result in a dangerous situation. If it was a commercial product approved for the market, it would typically be in an enclosure that didn't support combustion (or at least the electrical part would be, which would also provide electrical insulation), and would have an internal fuse. As it stands, there could be enough energy supplied by the flex to be able to create a fire, e.g. if there was a failure in an electronic module.

I'm not suggesting you abandon the picture, but it might be prudent not to leave it running unattended, or when the house is unoccupied!
The insides have small circuit boards providing sound (water sounds), a small motor turning the waterfall effect picture and the small neon light. That's it.

The insides have small circuit boards providing sound (water sounds), a small motor turning the waterfall effect picture and the small neon light. That's it.
OK, thanks, I see the speaker now.
I imagine it's 'home-made'.
If the modules you mention are powered directly from the mains supply, their mounting on the wooden base of the frame (with sticky foam pads?) does not really provide a predictable degree of insulation.
I suggest you ensure nobody touches it while it's on, and since it appears entirely flammable, don't leave it on unattended!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Is this cable cord suitable? in the Electricians' Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock