Is this legal? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Is this legal? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Victor

-
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have an English client here in France who purchased 2 chandeliers from John Lewis for me to fit. Upon inspection of the lights I found that all three wires, line, neutral and earth were all the same colour, ie silver.

I know that this does not conform to UK nor French wiring colours, but is it legal for the product to be sold with this kind of wiring?

Not a question of legal are the cores labelled L N E the reason I ask is there is a lot a lights manufactured in Europe that has ES lampholders and yep you say silver but I have seen aluminium cores with see through insulation.

All three wire go into a choc box and are marked L/N/E however the problem arises when you have to shorten the cable. The ceiling I had to fit them to was 4 meters high and I still had to take off approx 60cm of cable and ten links on the hanging chain.

Not only unlabelled wiring but also poor cpc continuity on class I fittings. Usually made from Aluminum tubing with rough threading, imported from India.

I refurbished one from the US it had brown wiring throughout just recently. The lamp holders were ES27; one with wrong polarity, one without its insulating cover between the ES and the outer shell.

It was one of those jobs where the cost of refurbishment was higher than the cost of the fitting. Anyhow the client was happy for me to continue as it was an antique.

Hi Guys,

I have an English client here in France who purchased 2 chandeliers from John Lewis for me to fit. Upon inspection of the lights I found that all three wires, line, neutral and earth were all the same colour, ie silver.

I know that this does not conform to UK nor French wiring colours, but is it legal for the product to be sold with this kind of wiring?
victor....
its about identification of conductors...
this includes colour rings, numbering/lettering, coloured plugs, coloured cores etc...
so as long as some ID has been provided...
what are the lampholders?...bayonet, GU10 or edison screw?...its important...you can identify the CPC easily enough...

As long as the terminal block is marked L,N,E as you say it is, it shouldn't matter what the internal wiring colour is.
It's silver so it blends with the chain and fitting I assume.

It's internal wiring same as washing machines etc not external as per 17th.

All three wire go into a choc box and are marked L/N/E however the problem arises when you have to shorten the cable. The ceiling I had to fit them to was 4 meters high and I still had to take off approx 60cm of cable and ten links on the hanging
chain.

Well you could have put that info in your first post but its not rocket science when you cut the cable you test each core for continuity ie Earth Live to centre pin of ES lampholder and Neutral to side pin of ES lampholder

victor....
its about identification of conductors...
this includes colour rings, numbering/lettering, coloured plugs, coloured cores etc...
so as long as some ID has been provided...
what are the lampholders?...bayonet, GU10 or edison screw?...its important...you can identify the CPC easily enough...

Bulb holders were Edison screw.

I know the cpc is easily identifiable, it was quite simply a case of doing a continuity test, but to any Joe Bloggs without a continuity tester or a little bit of knowledge it could be very easy to connect live or neutral to earth.

I know the cpc is easily identifiable, it was quite simply a case of doing a continuity test, but to any Joe Bloggs without a continuity tester or a little bit of knowledge it could be very easy to connect live or neutral to earth.

I think thats the point when you take it out of the box it clearly states "get a qualified electrician to fit" yep get out of jail card and not set up for Joe Public.

A bit like a loop in light system in the UK where Joe Public takes the pendant down fits the light puts the power back on notices the light is on then flicks the switch to get a bang so there are things that Joe Public feels he can do it but cannot

As Glen says, identification doesn't necessarily mean you have to use the harmonised colours - you can use any manner of labelling on the cable. Remember you can use metal containment as a CPC and you don't have to go around painting that green & yellow.

I think thats the point when you take it out of the box it clearly states "get a qualified electrician to fit" yep get out of jail card and not set up for Joe Public.

A bit like a loop in light system in the UK where Joe Public takes the pendant down fits the light puts the power back on notices the light is on then flicks the switch to get a bang so there are things that Joe Public feels he can do it but cannot

I love them call outs

shhh, my nephew is employed by a large firm to paint all their galv. trunking and conduit in GN/Y stripes. he's been at the stores counter for 3 days , waiting for the striped paint.

and i assume you understand the importance of polarity here...?
i hope you do Victor..

Reply to Is this legal? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net