Is this tinned copper and is it classed as copper with regards scrap metal? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Is this tinned copper and is it classed as copper with regards scrap metal? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
I am having a cable stripping day in the garden whilst the rain clouds have gone.

A few cables from older houses look like they are tinned copper. Here is a picture of the tinned copper and normal copper. Is it tinned copper? It was taken from imperial cable.

[ElectriciansForums.net] Is this tinned copper and is it classed as copper with regards scrap metal?

Also, will the scrap yard treat it as copper, the same as all the other stripped cable?

Rub on some bricks to see if copper shows through. If aluminium it will break very easy by bending it.
Just tried.... it's copper ?
if tinned, i think scrap will accept as copper, as the tin coating is only a few microns thick.
I thought best thing to do is just to ring them and ask. I just like posting threads!

The chap said to separate it, otherwise it all gets paid as tinned copper at £4 p/kg as opposed to £4.50 p/kg for bright copper.

I have 20kg of bright copper, so the phone call has saved me £10. woohoo?.

I know it doesn't make financial sense to strip cable as it takes so long, but I quite enjoy it. At least for a couple of hours, then it gets boring.

Reply to Is this tinned copper and is it classed as copper with regards scrap metal? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

• Question
Thanks very much for all the information on the cable. Very interesting. I'm going to strip a piece back on the weekend and see if I can get a...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Oh, thought you meant 1 and 2p coins! ......that's all you get from stripping and weighing old CU's ;)
Replies
Views
  • Question
Your electrician can't do it. The dno has to do it, and it will be entirely at your expense. Be careful moving anything as mentioned above older...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Excellent information, and thank you. Will suggest a local electrician could be asked to look into the possibility of tighter control for...
Replies
Views
  • Question
@marconi he lives whey out in the country and he had satellite tv before he moved. He wanted to quit paying for tv so he took on this project and...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks