Is this within regs? | Page 6 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Is this within regs? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

alexknight0602

Is this within the regs? I can't get the thread of the gland through the box to get the banjo inside. I wanted to use the swa but if not will rely on one of the cores.

Attachments

• [ElectriciansForums.net] Is this within regs?
    image.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 473
I can honestly say that when I saw the OP and read the thread from the beginning I was under the impression he is a dodgy diyer having a go at his own outdoor electrics.
If you are indeed carrying this out for a client who is under the impression you are a skilled tradesmen and is paying you as a skilled tradesman then I personally would advise your client to call trading standards.

I personally think it is unacceptable to carry out work on a clients property when you have openly admitted it is not something you are 100% confident with.
Have you told your customer that you are, by your own admission on here, a little bit out of your depth and are asking a bunch of people you don't know on the internet for advice after you are part way through the work?

When you fill in your certificate will you be ticking the famous 'some bloke on the internet said it was ok' box?

Doing a three year course at college and gaining a theory qualification is a good thing, don't get me wrong, but it is just a qualification in the theory side of the job. The practical side of the job is a whole different ball game and requires its own three years of training.
The qualification for being an electrician these days is made up of three parts: the C+G theory certificate (2330), the NVQ certificate (2356?) and the certficate of completion of an apprenticeship.

Got there in the end??

almost there, put a small angle onto the banjo so the gland fits square and secure, also it seems you have used brass knuts as spacer for your 4mm brass slotted bolt, I would rather cut the bolt shorter and have it so the slotted side of the screw/bolt is at the top for ease of tightening, it looks as though this job you are doing is for an external supply and you are using this as a joint box to change from T&E from the house to Swa as it exits the box, I personally wouldn't use a galv box as some suggested in this situation, what you have done (almost complete) using an Ip rated enclosure and ensuring that you have earthed the armourings as well as the individual earth core (not taped up yet use the black taped up as cpc, grey taped up as neutral),

good of you to seek advice and take the criticism in a good stride can't fault you mate

almost there, put a small angle onto the banjo so the gland fits square and secure, also it seems you have used brass knuts as spacer for your 4mm brass slotted bolt, I would rather cut the bolt shorter and have it so the slotted side of the screw/bolt is at the top for ease of tightening, it looks as though this job you are doing is for an external supply and you are using this as a joint box to change from T&E from the house to Swa as it exits the box, I personally wouldn't use a galv box as some suggested in this situation, what you have done (almost complete) using an Ip rated enclosure and ensuring that you have earthed the armourings as well as the individual earth core (not taped up yet use the black taped up as cpc, grey taped up as neutral),

good of you to seek advice and take the criticism in a good stride can't fault you mate

When you see the lash ups of some of the "professionals" for real and from stock pics , at least he knew he was wrong and tried to do something about it. If he carries on that way hopefully we won't be looking at any of his pics in the future.

I think if he had come right out and asked how to gland off he would have had an even harder time. I for one would have ignored the post.

Most people would not have a clue how to gland SWA without some training , so I am giving him the benefit of the doubt, and assumed that he had SOME experience.

I think that the point many of us are making is simply this....
Why are you doing a job which you then had to ask the opinion of a forum about, before making it half-decent?

He is spreading his wings and I can't fault him or anyone else for doing so

He also seems to be a product of our present day culture of relying on spreading your wings with not a parent bird available to help him fly

Hats off to the fella for putting his work on show and for accepting critisism of the work

If he can separate criticism of himself from criticism of the work standard,he can look forward to eventually finding his feet by himself

He is spreading his wings and I can't fault him or anyone else for doing so

He also seems to be a product of our present day culture of relying on spreading your wings with not a parent bird available to help him fly

Hats off to the fella for putting his work on show and for accepting critisism of the work

If he can separate criticism of himself from criticism of the work standard,he can look forward to eventually finding his feet by himself

Tbh though, this is pretty basic electrical installation work.

I can honestly say that when I saw the OP and read the thread from the beginning I was under the impression he is a dodgy diyer having a go at his own outdoor electrics.
If you are indeed carrying this out for a client who is under the impression you are a skilled tradesmen and is paying you as a skilled tradesman then I personally would advise your client to call trading standards.

I personally think it is unacceptable to carry out work on a clients property when you have openly admitted it is not something you are 100% confident with.
Have you told your customer that you are, by your own admission on here, a little bit out of your depth and are asking a bunch of people you don't know on the internet for advice after you are part way through the work?

When you fill in your certificate will you be ticking the famous 'some bloke on the internet said it was ok' box?

Doing a three year course at college and gaining a theory qualification is a good thing, don't get me wrong, but it is just a qualification in the theory side of the job. The practical side of the job is a whole different ball game and requires its own three years of training.
The qualification for being an electrician these days is made up of three parts: the C+G theory certificate (2330), the NVQ certificate (2356?) and the certficate of completion of an apprenticeship.

But how can the guy ever get experience if he doesn't try?
I think you've been a bit harsh, ideally he would have got experience from his journeyman but we don't know his background, maybe he had a poor apprenticeship(if he did one that is).

Tbh though, this is pretty basic electrical installation work.

Yes it is.I agree and he also made a pigs ear of it

What is more annoying to me than his attempts at doing a good job

He has gone to college and spent years of his precious time learning about a job and obviously coming away below what we presume is basic skill

He may never have had someone to take him through the practical and occasionally slap his wrist when he does make a pigs ear of a job

The fella has put in effort,he has spent time,he appears to be considerate of his work,he is looking for what is good and bad,the problem may very well be our society rather than the individual "there but for the grace of god go I" perhaps

I totally agree, it's a sad state of the times we live in where these chaps are going out into the public's domain without the electrical knowledge to be competent to carry out electrical installations without contacting the internet for the basics
You get experience BEFORE being let loose on the general public...

Reply to Is this within regs? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net