I've seen it all, now. | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss I've seen it all, now. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Rockingit

-
Mentor
Arms
Supporter
V.Nearly Esteemed
Reaction score
Rather than build the cabinet properly to fit, the "builders" thought it appropriate just to run the saw down my newly installed consumer unit.....

[ElectriciansForums.net] I've seen it all, now.

[ElectriciansForums.net] I've seen it all, now.

I've seen that a few times. Does that brand of cu not do a din rail mounted blank?
In a word, no. And where the busbar sits makes it awkward to get someone else's in. Those are the ones supplied with the board so therefore at least are 'manufactured to purpose'. I don't like it, and its not my preference, just not a lot to be done. I dab a bit of silicon in to glue them and make sure the bus bar is cut short below it.

Have you asked the builder how you are expected to remove the cover?

What an ASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSShxle
I said exactly that very thing, then nipped off to the wholesalers for a coffee. When I returned, miraculously the wood had been eaten by the fairies and the CU cover was lying next to it as if to prove a point.....

You should have seen the job I just done , when I started it a crabtree split board was partly behind the side of a kitchen wall unit . To get the cover off I had to cut away the side wall of the unit to allow the cover to clear the breakers , A new rear extension was installed in May this year and circuits extended to cover all sockets and lights , customer had certs with all readings , yet the cover of the DB had not been removed until now and the kitchen was installed 7 years ago, Faults no end found on the circuits the guy had worked on...

You should have seen the job I just done , when I started it a crabtree split board was partly behind the side of a kitchen wall unit . To get the cover off I had to cut away the side wall of the unit to allow the cover to clear the breakers , A new rear extension was installed in May this year and circuits extended to cover all sockets and lights , customer had certs with all readings , yet the cover of the DB had not been removed until now and the kitchen was installed 7 years ago, Faults no end found on the circuits the guy had worked on...
I can well believe it. In the past I've had to take half a wall down to get at a CU. What just amazes me in this case is that its a NEW install (flooded cottage refurbishment) and all trades starting with near enough a blank canvas!!!

I would be looking for damages to the equipment if you have not been paid yet , or get customer to claim from the guy and remove the bodgery of a kitchen unit , to allow you to replace the damaged board cover,

Meanwhile, on the kitchen fitters forum...moronic electrician puts his CU in the wrong place. :)
You need to know some back-story to understand why ^^ is so funny:

The original CU was in exactly the same place and sort of 'built in' with this mass of shelving/bookcase on that wall. It wasn't going to be possible to rewire the place unless that shelving was ditched and then remade. So, apart from being 2' lower for better access its exactly as it was before, and it was the kitchen fitters who got the job of removing and then rebuilding the shelves to enable us to work!!!

You need to know some back-story to understand why ^^ is so funny:

The original CU was in exactly the same place and sort of 'built in' with this mass of shelving/bookcase on that wall. It wasn't going to be possible to rewire the place unless that shelving was ditched and then remade. So, apart from being 2' lower for better access its exactly as it was before, and it was the kitchen fitters who got the job of removing and then rebuilding the shelves to enable us to work!!!

And this is what happens when wet heads...(sorry) I mean plumbers try and do a first year apprentice joiners job!!lol

Reply to I've seen it all, now. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net