June 2391 Question 15 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss June 2391 Question 15 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Baal

A BS1361 fuse is to be used to provide overcurrent and fault protection for a new circuit. State the effect on the operation of the fuse when the following conditions occur if the fuse was installed in the neutral conductor:

a) Overload

b) Earth Fault

c) Short circuit fault

Let the discussion begin :):):)

A BS1361 fuse is to be used to provide overcurrent and fault protection for a new circuit. State the effect on the operation of the fuse when the following conditions occur if the fuse was installed in the neutral conductor:

a) Overload

b) Earth Fault

c) Short circuit fault

I put

a break
b none
c break

Last edited by a moderator:

a) Overload

b) Earth Fault

c) Short circuit fault

I put;

a) Trip
b) No trip
c) Trip

Will i find out if i'm totally wrong???

I need to have bagged as many as i answered as i ran out of time whilst answering 25!:eek:

I think they're looking for example:

The fuse operates (opens) or the fuse does not operate.

But I'd like to think that using the word trip would not affect the awarding of marks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I used a different variation....

a) fuse element breaks
b) no effect
c) element breaks

How many more versions did folks but i wonder?Lol

Seems as we all had the same idea at least, hopefully we've bagged the 3 on that one, only need another 87 from the others!!!:eek:

I waffled loads on this one. The question asks about the effect on the fuse, but I thought it was about the effect on the whole circuit.
a) The fuse blows, but the whole circuit is still connected to line voltage. With no current now flowing, all parts of the circuit - including the neutral conductor, are 230v above earth.
b) The fault current flows through the CPC, and not the neutral conductor. The fuse will not open and the circuit is not protected.
c) Same as a)

Wasted some useful minutes on that one.:cool:

They will be happy with that Charles... You showed underpinning knowledge, but wasted a little time tho i think.

As the exam success says, the word state means use as few words as is necasary.

Reply to June 2391 Question 15 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net