Just been to change a CU | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Just been to change a CU in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

dandb

I wish I would have taken my camera (I do not have an I phone :))

Anyway went to change a customers CU. All looked ok and quite a straight forward swap. Twin and earth cabling and docs to show rewired 20 years ago.

Anyway I could not have been so wrong.

Took the front cover off to find a whole load of issues.

1st - 16mm earth cable coming from supplier joint (TNS) is going into the main switch N terminal.
2nd - 25mm incoming Neutal is going into a terminal block connecting to a black 2.5mm single cable.
3rd - 2.5mm red cable connected to the Live main switch terminal along side the 25mm live cable.

Hmmmm I thought....managed to chase the 2.5mm cable to a switch on the other side of the wall. I asked the customer about this switch and she said.

'oh yeah thats an interesting question. That switch bypasses the meter but we never use it. I thought it had been disconnected!!!!'

Well well well.

Apparently the customer bought the house a couple of years back and once she did the previous occupant came back to ask for a tree out of the garden that was a wedding anniversary gift. At that time he told her about the switch.

Shoudl I tell the DNO or not? Customer has said she never used it and I have now ripped it out as to install the new CU.

Anyone else come across anything like this?

if you've put everything right, i'd keep quiet. if it was a previous owner did it, then you may end up causing the present owner some unwanted grief by informing DNO or supplier.

Is it the norm now to just quote for a consumer unit change without taking a look at the existing setup?
What about bonding requirements, do you make an allowance in the quote or just hope everything's acceptable?
Same with IR tests, what if there are N/E issues before you add RCD protection?

Not a dig, just wondering what the popular process is!

Is it the norm now to just quote for a consumer unit change without taking a look at the existing setup?
What about bonding requirements, do you make an allowance in the quote or just hope everything's acceptable?
Same with IR tests, what if there are N/E issues before you add RCD protection

My thoughts exactly

Same with IR tests, what if there are N/E issues before you add RCD protection?

when i am looking at a C/U change with Leigh....we always check both earthing and bonding at the survay stage.....we will ask the client if we can run a few tests....like you say, just to see how the land lies....this isn1t always possible of course...depends on what the client wants....disruption n all that lot.....when we have been given the go ahead though to look at a rented place (empty) for the letting agents we do some work for i always go round and de-lamp, remove fuse/s and all that lot..then IR it....as well as the usual visual stuff.....helps your cause loads does this.....not going in blind that way......

When quoting for a board change we usually have a good look round, drop the old board cover, check for bonding etc. We also explain to the customer that if once we have swapped the board, that if we come across any faults they will be extra. They are usually happy with it. If it's something simple like a open ring, 1 of us will drop the sockets to try and find it whilst the other carries on with the board change and do it as a 'freebie' if its just a case of a loose connection.

haha, i came across the same set up about a year ago, i put things right and kept my mouth shut. charged a bit extra of course.
just joined this site there are some amusing posts on here lol. how do you post on here? ive got some interesting topics i would like to share on here

I remember 3 similar incidents, 1 was a local antiques dealer who had done something naughty,I went to sort it out and arriving 10 minutes late rang bell, house had glass door and wife comes up hall starkers she opened door and then realised I was not her husband she stood there while I explained what I was there for then shot of to get dressed,as she had just got out of jaccuzi.I did what I had to and left planning to return later for my fee.When I went back her husband accused me of blowing up the jaccuzi,turned out his wife was in jaccuzi when I arrived had got out leaving it on then drained water after I had powered down,not thinking to turn switch off,when I powered back up she went out at the same time as me leaving motors running dry!

haha, i came across the same set up about a year ago, i put things right and kept my mouth shut. charged a bit extra of course.
just joined this site there are some amusing posts on here lol. how do you post on here? ive got some interesting topics i would like to share on here

Sounds like you be a great member of the mad house, join in.

If you want to start a new thread just go to the topic area on the front screen, eg I&T, general, PV, PAT testing and start a new thread. Don't worry if you put it in the wrong place, the mods will move it.

Welcome to the forum, more addictive than coke (a-cola) :)

I remember 3 similar incidents, 1 was a local antiques dealer who had done something naughty,I went to sort it out and arriving 10 minutes late rang bell, house had glass door and wife comes up hall starkers she opened door and then realised I was not her husband she stood there while I explained what I was there for then shot of to get dressed,as she had just got out of jaccuzi.I did what I had to and left planning to return later for my fee.When I went back her husband accused me of blowing up the jaccuzi,turned out his wife was in jaccuzi when I arrived had got out leaving it on then drained water after I had powered down,not thinking to turn switch off,when I powered back up she went out at the same time as me leaving motors running dry!

PMSL laughing Phil.

And of course its all your fault that she blow the jaccuzi :):):)

Found pic

[ElectriciansForums.net] Just been to change a CU

Reply to Just been to change a CU in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net