Just doing an EICR today and in a quandary... | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Just doing an EICR today and in a quandary... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

The Ghost

So there is no earth to the light fitting, well there is it's terminated in the black terminal box above it. However there is no connection of earth to the light. It's a JCC I think circa 10 years old or maybe less. Also the supply to the lamp holder is in singles from the termination box. There are around thirty of them throughout the flat. Now if you look up this light JCC it's Class II, although all metal. I'm thinking if the live came out of the lampholder and you were changing the lamp it could get interesting up that ladder! And the singles bugs me as well. But suggesting they should be changed with a C2 means 30 lamps at £xx could get pricey. Perhaps I am being too picky? What say you?
[ElectriciansForums.net] Just doing an EICR today and in a quandary...

The fittings according to the data sheet is double insulated
and the singles are heat resistant
The responsibility for the classification of the fitting is the manufacturer

Personally,I think as long as the fixed wiring does what it says on the tin,there is no problem, certainly no responsibility on the tester should any of the fears become real

Didn't go that far as to check for double insulation. Maybe I'll just let it go then.
as it's possible the earth terminal is connected to the metal bracket that holds the terminal block to the light fitting?
Yes I wondered that and did check if there was any such connection but no there is not. In any event I was doing R1/R2 and there is definitely no continuity on the metal body of the fitting or lampholder whereas there is inside the black termination box where the cables are. And anyway there is no RCD on the lighting, and the same lights are used in the bathroom. Two of which are directly above the bath. But fear not those two are at least IP44 with a glass cover over the lamp.

Reply to Just doing an EICR today and in a quandary... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back