Just started looking into becoming an electrician, advice (38y) | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Just started looking into becoming an electrician, advice (38y) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
About me; I'am 38 left school to join army as this was all i wanted to do i didnt try hard at school. After going to Afghan i left the army and went to become a chef as i loved food and creativity i became very successful but family life suffered. Then covid hit and after having time off from the industry i could not go back. So i took a new career path that i had some knowledge of ( was a greenkeeper for couple years while joining army) and went into hard landscaping. I enjoy the work its creative and rewarding now after 4 years and my age iam looking at my next career progression being my own business. But after long thoughts iam not sure if i want to be landscaping in my 50's + I enjoy trade work and after some research i figured its never to old to retrain and with my thoughts being on moving to an electrician so i have started to research my ways in, and so here i am with a few questions

Q1, What is best/ most recommended training course provider? preferable close to midlands
I know this has been asked many times on here and has mixed reviews, but iam thinking of a training course reasons being. I live in a small village area so after looking for mature apprenticeship there really is nothing on offer, although i will keep looking i figure doing something is better than nothing. I know many negatives are that on site experience cant be beaten an the course will not make you a qualified electrician but looking at the jobs around me they all want qualifications and experience

Q2, what other things could i do to make myself more appealing to getting a foot in the industry?

Reply to Just started looking into becoming an electrician, advice (38y) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net