Ka-boom | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Ka-boom in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

ElectroChem

-
Arms
Reaction score
Callout to a farm today, motor won't go. This is what greets me when I open up the control box. Lightning storm yesterday, seems the poor relay didn't appreciate the jolt. Anyone care to share their pics of utterly destroyed bits and pieces?

[ElectriciansForums.net] Ka-boom

Attachments

• [ElectriciansForums.net] Ka-boom
    20141207_112729[1].jpg
    357.4 KB · Views: 343
What voltage? They look like 3.3KV fuses but the wiring doesn’t. Interesting how you can see the flashover points on the fuses. Is the white mark across the back plane tracking?

I’ve not seen anything like that for many years, nothing to do with lightning but inductive discharge when a motor stopped.
The motor had been uprated three times as I can remember, pity the draw out starter hadn’t. The fuses had gone up from 150A to 300A, obviously the fuse diameter was bigger making the gap between them far to small.
Intermittently when the motor stopped the back EMF would cause flashover taking out the 600A busbar riser fuses.
I wasn’t based on this plant but got lumbered with finding a cure. I fitted insulating shields between the fuses and everything was fine.
It ran like that for a couple of years and then the problem started again? Some pillock had replaced the nylon nuts and setscrews with brass! To make it even better they’d cut the setscrews with pliers leaving a nice point aimed directly at the adjacent fuse. It was just like a spark gap used for MV over voltage protection.

Our plants took several direct strikes but they never did any damage, the building acting as a Faraday cage.

The fuses are 3.6kV and so is the wiring. It's part of the speed control system for a 3.3kV slip ring induction motor. A transformer in the adjacent panel, also part of the speed control system smoked and the hence the ensuing damage. The white mark is where somebody wiped the back panel. Parts were changed as required and it all cleaned up rather nicely.

Here's another nice mess.

We don't what happened. The kit had been stored in an unheated room in the jungle in West Africa for about six years. It is, or was a 315kW AFE VFD. It comprises two panels split to make shipping easier. We suspect that the power connections between the two were not done up correctly leading to arcing/overheating. But who knows? Given the history, it could have been full of vermin or snakes or bees nests....

We were asked to bid for a replacement unit but that was a year or so ago. Nothing since.

Reply to Ka-boom in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Recommended Sponsor News

Quickwire Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net

I am sure you will join me in welcoming our newest sponsors of ElectriciansForums.net - Quickwire! They have decided to join us after seeing you guys discussing their products here. Now we have an expert on board that you can chat to @Quickwire-Sam who will be happy to answer your queries!

[ElectriciansForums.net] Quickwire Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net

@Quickwire-Sam said "At Quickwire, we're all about speed, safety, and reliability. We're a family-run business, and every Quickwire connector is proudly made right here in the UK, ensuring noticeable quality. In short, Quickwire is the fastest connection method on the market. Whether you're an experienced electrician or a DIY enthusiast, Quickwire makes electrical connections ridiculously quick and easy. We're passionate about blending British craftsmanship with innovation. If you have any questions or if there's any way we can help, please just ask me!"

Exclusive Forum Offer! Free euro 2024 wall chart for first 10 responses!

Hi everyone,

We have 10 exclusive Uheat EURO 2024 Wallcharts to giveaway for Electricians Forum Members! The first 10 people to reply YES to this thread - I will message and get them sent out to you just in time for this years tournament! GO GO GO

PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

I hope you will all join me in welcoming our newest sponsor to the forum PCBWay! You can contact their friendly people by sending a message to @PCBWay who will be happy to answer your queries.

Welcome to the community and thanks for your sponsorship!

[ElectriciansForums.net] PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

PCBWay provides services including PCB Prototype and batch Production, PCB Assembly (SMT), 3D Printing, CNC Machining, PCB Design, Electronics Modules Selling, etc. We are committed to meeting the needs of global makers from different industries in terms of quality, delivery, cost-effectiveness, and any other demanding requests in electronics.

[ElectriciansForums.net] PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back