Kitchen installations - zones? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Kitchen installations - zones? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

ed-ectrician

Hi all,

I have had a QUICK look in the regs book and it seems that kitchens are not covered under the special locations and zoned locations.

At college our lecturer said the zones only apply to basins that you can submerge yourself in water - e.g baths and shower basins (and of course swimming pools etc), not sinks although obviously you don't want sockets in your kitchen sink!!

The rule of thumb I have always applied is that if you can reach a socket whilst having your other hand in the kitchen sink then that is obviously a no no.

The question i am asking is where is this in the regs book and also, does it apply to lighting (unlikely) and other things like FCUs and extractor fans.

Sorry if this seems a bit of a stupid question I was hoping you veterans could sort me out with an answer without too much sarcasm!!

Thanks a lot,

Ed

It's a common sense call in most cases , some kitchens are so small that it would not be practicable to fit accessories where the building regs stipulate. The building regs ; like BS7671 are not retrospective anyway. As long as you have considered and catered for the dangers then then you have done what is required of you.

A kitchen is not a special location in the electrical regs, but it is as far as building regs are concerned. As such, certain work carried out is notifiable.
If you are interested, then get yourself a copy of the electricians guide to the building regs, as this will explain what is required, as well as what is recommended.

There is nothing in the Regulations regarding kitchens.
Kitchens are not considered any different to any other location that isn't 'special'.
Being able to reach a socket with one hand while the other hand is in the sink is not particulary dangerous.
It becomes dangerous when the hand reaching for the socket is wet.
The common sense thing, to treat the kitchen as you would any other normal location.
Install appropriate accesories for the environmental conditions.
If a socket is likely to get splashed, use a socket rated for splashes.

Most cooker switches have a socket integrated into them, i haven't honestly seen many kitchen set ups where there has really been much of a requirement for sockets in the neighboring area that surpasses the already provided single.

Building regs say 300mm from the edge of appliance , but sometimes this is impossible to achieve. The book does say "where reasonably practicable" . it's up to to you to use your judgment "to avoid danger"

What about sockets near the cooker? Again, common sense right? Heat and steam damaging the sockets. Or is that in the regs?! Prob better if i just open my BGB!!

As ruston says, building regs recommend 300mm from the edge of sinks and cookers. However, this isn't always achievable in small kitchens, so as long as you're not directly over a hob, you are not actually breaking any regs as such.

Building regs say 300mm from the edge of appliance , but sometimes this is impossible to achieve. The book does say "where reasonably practicable" . it's up to to you to use your judgment "to avoid danger"

Just completed a first fix on an extension with TINY kitchen. As a result of the size I have advised them to install a small sink (620mm iirc) or I wouldn't be installing the socket where they wanted it... That was where my common sense kicked in :D

Reply to Kitchen installations - zones? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net