Kitchen wiring problems | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Kitchen wiring problems in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

However my kitchen fitter has refused to complete the work until the wiring runs vertical, he says wiring that’s running horizontally and diagonal should be condemned!!!???

The Kitchen fitter has had a couple of pats on the back,he is not getting one off me
As much as he is correct about diagonal cables he is also woefully uneducated about what constitutes being run in safe zones ( stating the nicht horizontal bit)

He is dealing with this important issue on a daily basis,he should be more than well aware of one of the most basic rules that affect work with his own trade
He must have been drilling holes in safe zones for ever and a day and been one lucky guy not to have cocked up

However my kitchen fitter has refused to complete the work until the wiring runs vertical, he says wiring that’s running horizontally and diagonal should be condemned!!!???

The Kitchen fitter has had a couple of pats on the back,he is not getting one off me
As much as he is correct about diagonal cables he is also woefully uneducated about what constitutes being run in safe zones ( stating the nicht horizontal bit)

He is dealing with this important issue on a daily basis,he should be more than well aware of one of the most basic rules that affect work with his own trade
He must have been drilling holes in safe zones for ever and a day and been one lucky guy not to have cocked up
I'm blessed, I work with 3 very good fitters.

On other jobs from other companies, I'm screwed and it is a bunch of knobs

I'm blessed, I work with 3 very good fitters.

On other jobs from other companies, I'm screwed and it is a bunch of knobs

I know i'm off topic,but your statement reminded me of a mate,who jumped in to a similar conversation,mid-way....He said "I have 4 pals,2 joiners,a decorator and a spark...and we never have any issues...work great together..."

It unfolded,that,he was describing his 5 a-side team:)

When asked if he had ever "worked" with any of them,he replied "No chance - bunch of animals- wouldn't give em' house room!" :eek:

That work is disgraceful.
You only have to look at the way he has chased out the wall for the back boxes, not one of them is level and it would automatically make me wonder what the rest of his work is like. The chase marks from his grinder around the sockets show he has taken no pride in his work at all and i bet the plasterer will love him for that, i know they will be filled and wont be seen but there is no reason for them to be there in the first place he needs to invest in some tools to make a neater job.
Looking at the pics more closely it looks like an existing old kitchen socket on the far right that then feeds a fcu, that fcu looks like it has a chase running down to feed an appliance, it then runs horizontally to feed another 2 double sockets and another fcu which looks like its load is the fridge or freezer. I may be wrong but i think it wont be long before that 13amp fuse in the first fcu goes pop with the loads that circuit may ask of it assuming that it is a spur from an existing socket. Oh and the diagonal cable run and the 1st fix makes me wonder if this has been installed by a professional or by a DIY homeowner.

Seems odd that the cooker switch is so far from the connection point, especially as there is a double socket directly above the connection point.
Please tell me that the hob will not be directly below the double socket and FCU.

Hi - dare I ask what rating cook top / oven is planned to be attached to the diagonal cable? Given that effort, I'm wondering if the cable has been properly sized ...

Thanks people. Not looking too good is it? The diagonal cables run down to almost floor level. So the hob will not be sitting directly below double sockets. I don’t know what to do now. If it’s that bad I don’t want the guy back to redo it. He was hear for 2 days, done the sockets , cut a trench in the floor for wiring to the other side of the room for the Cooker, and fitted a new consumer board under the stairs. That was 700 quid.

I'd start by asking them to move the diagonal cable back into a vertical zone and see what happens. Probably just being lazy...

What certs have you been given?

Good point @Murdoch
Hi OP: Did the electrician give you an electrical test certificate after he had finished the work?
Who installed the consumer unit? Whats the reason for using a 16A breaker (13) for the downstairs sockets?

Thanks people. Not looking too good is it? The diagonal cables run down to almost floor level. So the hob will not be sitting directly below double sockets. I don’t know what to do now. If it’s that bad I don’t want the guy back to redo it. He was hear for 2 days, done the sockets , cut a trench in the floor for wiring to the other side of the room for the Cooker, and fitted a new consumer board under the stairs. That was 700 quid.

There was a time when a diagonal route from cooker control to outlet, was often done, perhaps he's re-used the original chase? But now the ovens moved, he should have moved the chase.

What is the 'trench' thing about?

Reply to Kitchen wiring problems in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net