Kitchens! | on ElectriciansForums
  • Thread starter Rich_Mortimer
  • Start date
  • Replies 28
  • Views 4K

Discuss Kitchens! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Rich_Mortimer

Hi All,

I'm sorry if i'm repeating previous posts but this is my first time here and I don't know where to look!

Ok... I'm planning the sockets for our new kitchen before bringing in a spark for a quote.

Questions...
1) How far from the sink do I have to be before having a socket?
2) Can the sockets above the worktop still be normal sockets protected at the CU, or are there new rules?
3) I've been told the appliances can go directly via a double pole switch inside a unit... Don't they have to be in view??
4) If they can go in a unit... can they same be said with the cooker switch?

Sorry for so many questions and thanks in advance! :)

Regards,

Rich.

Hi All,

I'm sorry if i'm repeating previous posts but this is my first time here and I don't know where to look!

Ok... I'm planning the sockets for our new kitchen before bringing in a spark for a quote.

Questions...
2) Can the sockets above the worktop still be normal sockets protected at the CU, or are there new rules?
3) I've been told the appliances can go directly via a double pole switch inside a unit... Don't they have to be in view??

Regards,

Rich.
Hi Rich and welcome to the forum:D
1)300mm 2)Normal sockets as long as they are RCD protected.3)Depends on the layout of the kitchen.4)Not a problem as long as they are accessible

Hi All,

Questions...

Regards,

Rich.

Hi Rich
The socket distance can depend on your kitchen design and how much space you have, look to get 300 mm though from the sink and drainer
the sockets are just normal sockets but yes they will need to be RCD protected
If the appliances are coming off the ring ten they will be via a switch spur rather than DP switch. I dont have a problem with a socket or spur in an adjacent cupboard but there are others on here that will argue they want a switch spur above the work top but they must be reasonably accessible
the cooker switch will be fine in an adjacent cupboard

your sparks will also need to check main bonding etc

Thanks Mac,

Ok to the 1,2 and 4 questions. Back to 3!
I've got a tall intergrated fridge freezer unit. To the left is a standard 600 base unit with standard shelf. If I want the pole switch inside the unit, does he have to cut a hole in the unit to the wall mounted switch beheind or can he litterally mount it in the unit?

Ta,

Rich.

Thanks sparks.

I've been checking and just read others say fused spur aswell!

All news to me!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Mac,

Ok to the 1,2 and 4 questions. Back to 3!
I've got a tall intergrated fridge freezer unit. To the left is a standard 600 base unit with standard shelf. If I want the pole switch inside the unit, does he have to cut a hole in the unit to the wall mounted switch beheind or can he litterally mount it in the unit?

Ta,

Rich.
I would put the socket inside the unit but the double pole switch needs to be accessible,so not behind the integrated unit,inside a cupbord adjacent if thats possible

what happened to fixed wiring being fitted to the fabric of the building :confused:
Hi Flukey,what happens when you have an open plan kitchen and all the main appliances are in the centre of the kitchen.Every job is different you go to,i have done domestic in the past and fitted CCU and sockets in cupboards,are they not attached to the fabric of the building and classed as that

fair point mac but op hasnt mentioned any obstructions. personal preference is always fit to the fabric of the building, unless you cant :eek:

would never class a kitchen cupboard as fabric of the building though

Last edited:
Everyone has differing opinions of fitting accessories in kitchen cupboards.

It could be argued that a kitchen unit is part of the fabric of the building as it is not moveable and permanently fixed to the walls.

As long as the socket or isolator is accessible without having to empty out the cupboard then it should be fine.

Your electrician will tell you what he is happy to do, as it will be him who is signing it off with a cert.

electricians guide to the building regs page 56 5.2.2 (i)
wiring accesories (e.g socket outlets, switches) should be mounted on the building fabric and not on kitchen furniture.
reckon that clears it up ;)
unless theres no alternative lol :eek:

electricians guide to the building regs page 56 5.2.2 (i)
wiring accesories (e.g socket outlets, switches) should be mounted on the building fabric and not on kitchen furniture.
reckon that clears it up ;)
unless theres no alternative lol :eek:

Flukey, its a guide and not the regs ;)

Oh no....here we go:(

Pull up a chair :D

Part P is a building reg which states that all our work should comply with BS7671.

The EGBR is just that, a guide.

It does not state anywhere in BS7671 that socket outlets MUST be secured to the fabric of the building and not kitchen cabinets.

Just like there is not a 300mm rule.

:)

Pull up a chair :D

Part P is a building reg which states that all our work should comply with BS7671.

The EGBR is just that, a guide.

It does not state anywhere in BS7671 that socket outlets MUST be secured to the fabric of the building and not kitchen cabinets.

Just like there is not a 300mm rule.

:)
again very true jason, but on the other hand it doesnt say anywhere in 7671 that they can be fitted to kitchen cabinets, does it :confused:
i stand to be corrected but the op has seen the differences of opinion and ultimately its his choice as to where he puts his accessories as long as his spark is of the same opinion ;)
early start tomorrow so goodnight all ;)

I try not tofix inside cupboards ,but thats just my decision

The electricians guide to the building regs are just that, an opinion by others only
Far more important than mine but still the same just an opinion

I try not tofix inside cupboards ,but thats just my decision

The electricians guide to the building regs are just that, an opinion by others only
Far more important than mine but still the same just an opinion
exactly as i said des, to the building fabric, unless you cant
i would consider this good practice regardless of any guides or regs but that is only MY opinion ;)

Reply to Kitchens! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net