Led Driver Help Needed Please | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Led Driver Help Needed Please in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Good day

I have a problem and hope someone can help me or point me in the right direction. I'm a guy who like DIY and bought 10 Led Strip Light the make is
Bridgelux
BXEB-L1190U-40E3000-C-C3
Is the part number
It uses 38.2vdc per strip needs to be run @700ma.
so the wattage comes out to just under 400w for the 10 strips.
My problem is while looking for drivers I get the voltage then I don't get enough amps if I get the amps I don't get the voltage from the same driver and the strips was already delivered. The drivers I get that supply 39.2vdc only supplies 1.2A do I buy alot of those drivers and connect it that way ? Or is there a more efficient way of doing it thank you in advance

Sounds like its a 'constant current' driver (per strip) you require at 700mA. The voltage is usually specified in a range as it can be variable.
That is correct it is a constant current driver yes so should I match current and not worry about the voltage?

I just came across a 600w one that ticks both boxes voltage and amps should I go with this one ?
ManufacturerMEAN WELL USA Inc.
SeriesHLG-600H (600W)
PackagingBox
Part StatusActive
DigiKey ProgrammableNot Verified
TypeConstant Current, Voltage
TopologyAC DC Converter
Number of Outputs1
Voltage - Input (Min)90VAC
Voltage - Input (Max)305VAC
Voltage - Output24 ~ 48V
Current - Output (Max)12.5A
Power (Watts)600 W
Voltage - Isolation3.75 kV
DimmingAnalog, PWM
FeaturesRemote On/Off, OCP, OTP, OVP, SCP
RatingsIP67
Operating Temperature-40°C ~ 90°C
Efficiency96%
Termination StyleWire Leads
Size / Dimension9.97" L x 5.67" W x 1.91" H (253.2mm x 144.0mm x 48.5mm)
Approval AgencyCB, CCC, CE, cURus, ENEC, PSE
Base Product NumberHLG-600H

Will one of the above mentioned driver be able to run all 10 strips or should I get 2 ? I'll post the specs of the strips.

Manufacturer
Bridgelux
Series
EB Series™ Slim Gen 3
Packaging
Tray
Part Status
Active
Type
LED Module
Color
White, Neutral
CCT (K)
4000K 3-Step MacAdam Ellipse
Wavelength
-
Configuration
Linear Light Strip
Luminous Flux @ Current/Temperature
5350lm (Typ)
Current - Test
700mA
Temperature - Test
25°C
Voltage - Forward (Vf) (Typ)
38.2V
Lumens/Watt @ Current - Test
200 lm/W
Current - Max
1.7A
CRI (Color Rendering Index)
Viewing Angle
120°
Features
With Connector
Size / Dimension
1190.00mm L x 12.70mm W
Height
4.30mm
Light Emitting Surface (LES)
-
Lens Type
Flat
Base Product Number
BXEB-L1190

To drive all 10 LED modules in series, you need a driver that will deliver 700mA constant current at a voltage of circa 400V.
If the driver fails, all the lights will stop working, and depending on how it fails, all the LED modules might get damaged. If one LED module fails, then again all the lights will stop working. Plus you have to take care that you have some 400V DC floating around.

You might be better off using several drivers, e.g. 2 or 5 drivers that drive 5 or 2 LED modules in series. Or even one driver per LED module. What is the application? And do you care how the lighting fails eventually!

Just to be clear, to drive one LED strip you need a driver capable of outputting 38,2V at the required 700mA current - let's say 40V to allow for tolerances. So 28Watts/ strip/ driver.
So for 2 strips in series, you need a driver capable of 80V 56W, for 3 strips in series a driver capable of 120V 84W etc.
The Meanwell one you ask about in post #3 only outputs up to 48V, so will only give the specified current for 1 strip, despite being 600W.
As above I think several drivers would be better, and you may be encouraged in this by the scarcity/cost of higher voltage drivers!

To drive all 10 LED modules in series, you need a driver that will deliver 700mA constant current at a voltage of circa 400V.
If the driver fails, all the lights will stop working, and depending on how it fails, all the LED modules might get damaged. If one LED module fails, then again all the lights will stop working. Plus you have to take care that you have some 400V DC floating around.

You might be better off using several drivers, e.g. 2 or 5 drivers that drive 5 or 2 LED modules in series. Or even one driver per LED module. What is the application? And do you care how the lighting fails eventually!
Thank you for the reply I appreciate it. So if I use the above mentioned driver on 2 strips and wire it in parallel will it be able to drive the 2 strips ? The application is it's for a small room we built attached to the house for repairing computers since it takes up alot of space in the house and the misses don't like computers standing everywhere. The size of the room is roughly 4m x 6m judging of the eye no measurements. My eyes is sensitive to blue spectrum 5000k and up that's why I opted for those strips due to its cct I had a few light in here but I can't work more then 30mins before my eyes get tired because most lights these days come in 6500k. The strips carry a 2year warranty. I do care about how the lights fail eventually because if one strip fails and the others is still on I can replace the one but if all the strips fail I'm back at square one.

Just to be clear, to drive one LED strip you need a driver capable of outputting 38,2V at the required 700mA current - let's say 40V to allow for tolerances. So 28Watts/ strip/ driver.
So for 2 strips in series, you need a driver capable of 80V 56W, for 3 strips in series a driver capable of 120V 84W etc.
The Meanwell one you ask about in post #3 only outputs up to 48V, so will only give the specified current for 1 strip, despite being 600W.
As above I think several drivers would be better, and you may be encouraged in this by the scarcity/cost of higher voltage drivers!
Yes that's correct 38.2v constant and 700mA. The reason for the current is that the manufacturer states that if run at that current a heatsink is not required. Thank you for the clarifying that for me about the voltage and wattage. The problem is the drivers either supply enough current but then is only rated @24v or it matches the voltage but falls short on current 2.1amps. The lumens the strips put out and the cct is the reason I went with them. Am I better of getting strips that require 24v or 12v and use more of them spaced closer ? This is really a headache thank you for the reply I appreciate it

Yes that's correct 38.2v constant and 700mA. The reason for the current is that the manufacturer states that if run at that current a heatsink is not required. Thank you for the clarifying that for me about the voltage and wattage. The problem is the drivers either supply enough current but then is only rated @24v or it matches the voltage but falls short on current 2.1amps. The lumens the strips put out and the cct is the reason I went with them. Am I better of getting strips that require 24v or 12v and use more of them spaced closer ? This is really a headache thank you for the reply I appreciate it
This may not be much help to you in South Africa, but in the UK, a driver for one of your strips is available for approximately £8.
Eg: 220-240V DC 33-40V Output 28W 700mA LIFUD Driver LF-GIF030YS0700H - https://www.ledkia.com/uk/buy-standard-led-driver/100562-220-240v-dc-33-40v-output-28w-700ma-lifud-driver-lf-gif030ys0700h.html?
In Europe there is a reasonably wide choice of suitable individual drivers. The simplest solution being one driver for each strip - is that a viable solution from a cost point of view?
This Osram one is 6.50 GBP:

When searching the internet for suitable constant current drivers, just use 700mA and 40V, or 700mA and 28W (not the 38.2V) !

Last edited:
This may not be much help to you in South Africa, but in the UK, a driver for one of your strips is available for approximately £8.
Eg: 220-240V DC 33-40V Output 28W 700mA LIFUD Driver LF-GIF030YS0700H - https://www.ledkia.com/uk/buy-standard-led-driver/100562-220-240v-dc-33-40v-output-28w-700ma-lifud-driver-lf-gif030ys0700h.html?
In Europe there is a reasonably wide choice of suitable individual drivers. The simplest solution being one driver for each strip - is that a viable solution from a cost point of view?
This Osram one is 6.50 GBP:

When searching the internet for suitable constant current drivers, just use 700mA and 40V, or 700mA and 28W (not the 38.2V)
Thanks a million brother I see that one is rated @ 60v and the amps is perfect 👌 in my currency it is R155.50 so 10 would be R1554 that is way less then what I expected to spend. So ten of those then I should be good ? Sorry for the lots of questions but can I connect them together ( the input voltage) 5-2-1 and just use 1 plug or connect them all to the lights breaker with a switch inbetween?

Thanks a million brother I see that one is rated @ 60v and the amps is perfect
Not sure where you get the 60V from?
in my currency it is R155.50 so 10 would be R1554 that is way less then what I expected to spend. So ten of those then I should be good ? Sorry for the lots of questions but can I connect them together ( the input voltage) 5-2-1 and just use 1 plug or connect them all to the lights breaker with a switch inbetween?
Have you found something different to my examples? Just to say I regard Osram as a sound brand, though their products are probably still made in China like all the others!
You might buy one to try out before committing to all ten!
If you literally wire all 10 supplies together, which you could, the switch-on surge might be an issue - depends on the drivers.
I'd be inclined to put them on 2 or 3 separate switches.
Wiring them directly to the lighting circuit would be the professional way to go, but brings into play having to conform to your Electrical Installation Regulations, which I'm not familiar with, but I suspect (at least in theory) requires a qualified electrician to determine appropriate cabling and overload protection, and to install and test the circuitry.

Just to come back to my comment about trying a sample first.
Your LED strip running at 700mA seems to output over 5000 Lumens according to the data table you posted. That is v. bright!
Ten of them in an average size room will surely be dazzling?
Have you considered LED panels of the colour temperature and CRI you require?

Last edited:
Not sure where you get the 60V from?

Have you found something different to my examples? Just to say I regard Osram as a sound brand, though their products are probably still made in China like all the others!
You might buy one to try out before committing to all ten!
If you literally wire all 10 supplies together, which you could, the switch-on surge might be an issue - depends on the drivers.
I'd be inclined to put them on 2 or 3 separate switches.
Wiring them directly to the lighting circuit would be the professional way to go, but brings into play having to conform to your Electrical Installation Regulations, which I'm not familiar with, but I suspect (at least in theory) requires a qualified electrician to determine appropriate cabling and overload protection, and to install and test the circuitry.

Just to come back to my comment about trying a sample first.
Your LED strip running at 700mA seems to output over 5000 Lumens according to the data table you posted. That is v. bright!
Ten of them in an average size room will surely be dazzling?
Have you considered LED panels of the colour temperature and CRI you require?
Sorry must have got the 60v mixed up from the meanwell driver I saw. I did find something from the same supplier will post specs. And yeah lol everything these days is made in China with just a brand sticker on and Osram is a good brand I believe aswell.
ManufacturerMEAN WELL USA Inc.
SeriesLPC-35 (35W)
PackagingBox
Part StatusActive
DigiKey ProgrammableNot Verified
TypeConstant Current
TopologyAC DC Converter
Number of Outputs1
Voltage - Input (Min)90VAC
Voltage - Input (Max)264VAC
Voltage - Output9 ~ 48V
Current - Output (Max)700mA
Power (Watts)34 W
Voltage - Isolation3 kV
Dimming-
FeaturesOVP
RatingsIP67
Operating Temperature-30°C ~ 70°C
Efficiency85%
Termination StyleWire Leads
Size / Dimension5.83" L x 1.57" W x 1.18" H (148.0mm x 40.0mm x 30.0mm)
Approval AgencyCE, UR
Base Product Number
This the specs for the drivers
Thabk you for the advise on how to wire it our power cables run though the foundation of our houses so I will have to get a qualified electrician for the install. I did try that led panels but the light is defused and is soft.and yes those strips is rated at 5000 approx. Each lol how bright is 5000 Lumens?

. Each lol how bright is 5000 Lumens?
Try Googling that question.
It's described as 'very bright'. It's normally a level achieved with several fixtures.
Apparently 5000Lumens is the recommended figure for the average room (total).
You propose to have 10 times that! I would try one first and then see how many you think would suit!

(I'm not a lighting expert 🤫)

Try Googling that question.
It's described as 'very bright'. It's normally a level achieved with several fixtures.
Apparently 5000Lumens is the recommended figure for the average room (total).
You propose to have 10 times that! I would try one first and then see how many you think would suit!

(I'm not a lighting expert 🤫)
Wow 😅 I just Googled as you said and see they use 5000 lumen lighting fixtures for warehouses! I overshot by more then alot. Guess I'll have spares for years to come thank you for the advice otherwise I would be tanning everytime I work on computers in that room. 1 strip should suffice thank you bro I appreciate it 🙏 you saved me alot of money and sunburn lol. So will that 1 meanwell driver work I listed last for the 1 strip

Reply to Led Driver Help Needed Please in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net