Leds gu10 spots in my kitchen | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Leds gu10 spots in my kitchen in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

chopper

just after some advice/ideas im putting some cladded eiling up in my kitchen and some downlights, just finding it hard on how many to put in, my kitchens 4meters long and 3 meters wide , so i was going to come 1 meter off each wall and have 2 rows of 3, but im worrie this wont be enough, what do u guys think, i dont want to put 9 in as this will be overcrowded,
the lamps i am putting in are 3w gu10 equal to 50w, how do u guys work it out?

And if 3M in general I'd come 750MM in from wall, so spacing of 750-1500-750, for 2 lights.
4M long for 3 lights I'd go 667MM in from wall, 1333MM between lights.

The joists will also play a factor though, they could very well be in the way!

I fit 9 led spots in a kitchen not so long back. They had 29 leds in them and where the equivilent to 10w each. Brilliant white. They replaced the halogen ones that where there origanaly. Much brighter, customer was well happy. You can also buy them in soft white. They cost around £4/5 each.

Jay

Glass lamp, in style of halogens
Older chips for the SMD LED, 3528's and not 5050's
No offer (that I noted anyway) of a guarantee. Can get the 5050 SMD led's from ebay with no guarantee for £5-6. LED Hut/CEF other wholesalers give you 2 years on them for £7+. Its not the 7+ years that halers, JCC etc offer, but these don't cost £30+ either.

I fit 9 led spots in a kitchen not so long back. They had 29 leds in them and where the equivilent to 10w each. Brilliant white. They replaced the halogen ones that where there origanaly. Much brighter, customer was well happy. You can also buy them in soft white. They cost around £4/5 each.

Jay

were from jay bargain them

were from jay bargain them

TLC direct. They were on offer at the time but i think they are only £5/6 normal. They actualy only had 21 leds not 29. They are 1.3w but equivelent to 10w. They were bright white. Type in
TLC direct on google or jeeves, click on it when itcomes up, go in to sales & browsing, go to internal lighting, type led lamps in the search bar, click on gu10 leds and they should come up with a choice of different colours.

Jay

Last edited:
I fit 9 on a kitchen ceiling of around 4m x 4m, 3 rows. So they were about 1m apart. And as I said before the leds I used were equiv to 10w and they were alot brighter than the old halogen ones which were in there before. Just put em in and see, if they need extra ones putting in, im sure the customer will tell you and this will give you some extra work, cha ching!!!

Jay

What use is a 10W halogen or equivalent to it? Under cupboards and in cabinets I can understand, but not in ceilings. Gotta say I have never come across anything less than a 20Watt GU10 and even then not seen many of them.

Try this web site for an idea

How Many Lights

If the link is down go to the halers web site and click on the LED H2 downlight. Choose any style and colour and there will be a link saying "how many lights do I need". Play around with the simulator and see what you think.

I put your room dimensions in and changed the light sources wattage to 50 and it came up with 9 lights would give you over 350 lumens. A guide would be 300 lumems for a kitchen.

I read something recently on lighting design for downlighters and it said its more important to light the areas that require functional light rather than space lights out geometrically in the ceiling. Eg dont worry to much about lighting the middle of the kitchen, design the lighting to illuminate the work surface or eating areas.

Last edited by a moderator:
When doing spots, as a general rule, like D80 said, I make the gap between a light and a wall half the distance of a gap between each light, so for a row of 3 in a 3 metre room you divide the ceiling into 3 spaces and put one light in the MIDDLE of each space, not divide the ceiling into 4 and have the light on each divide line...if you get my drift...this is what amatuers do and it looks crap.
The above method gives completely even light distribution across the room.

I worked in a flat the other day where the landlord had replaced every downlighter lamp with a 1 watt led lamp....and half the flat was uderground. Tight git was charging a flat rate, bills included and wanted to save on bulbs and juice. It was like a bloody cave.

HALER EVOLVLED these ARE equal to 50w halos and are 7 or 8 watts 7 year warranty its the same as most LED stuff just now the cheaper the bettter ( for a week) as one of out clients found having replaced 50 halogens with "LED equivelents" they are having to spend more on lamp replacement AGAIN after 6months ( more than half are out or flickering so bad that people notice and ask about epilepsy as its a high flashing rate) OK they are on 24/7 BUT Halers warranty is 7 years No limit as to lamp usage

Reply to Leds gu10 spots in my kitchen in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net