Legal question regarding overhead service line | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Legal question regarding overhead service line in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys!

Just looking for a little legal advice.

Long story short, I'm looking at installing a new poly water tank.
Only issue I have is my low hanging service line is in the way.

The "correct" option would be to have someone from the power co come out and either temporarily take down the line, or maybe just lift it out of the way with a hot stick, possibly after de-energizing it at the pole.

But, let's just say I somehow already know for sure that there is more than enough slack in the line for me to simply lift it over the tank as it rolls under.
The question is, are there any serious legal concerns with me doing this?

Regards,

So when the cable accidentally snags on the tank (even when you think it is clear) snaps and the live end drops onto the metal truck, and the driver gets out to see what happens, and his body completes the circuit to ground, ... how are you going to explain that in court?

So when the cable accidentally snags on the tank (even when you think it is clear) snaps and the live end drops onto the metal truck, and the driver gets out to see what happens, and his body completes the circuit to ground, ... how are you going to explain that in court?
Valid concern,

But by this point the delivery guy would be long gone and we would be carefully rolling the tank under the line by hand.
Its a round tank so rolling it by hand will be pretty easy, and the line would naturally want to just slide over the top if it contacts the tank.

But the line potentially dropping is my biggest concern as far as things that could possibly go wrong.

Regards,

Not familar with Aussie regs but it sounds like this hanging cable doesn't comply, what if somebody grabs it and puts some weight on it and snaps it
The cable is 2.6M above the ground at its lowest point, not sure if thats too low for the regs, but the tank is 3.6M in diameter.
To give you a very rough idea, the cable run looks something like this:
[ElectriciansForums.net] Legal question regarding overhead service line

i would be very concerned that, if moved... even with a well insulated pole.... there could be damage or a loose connection at either end which will end up with a fizz-bang! if moved the wrong way....

(although, a very high wind could possibly cause this as well)

Whats the cost implication to get the supplier out to do it properly? Then it's their fault if something goes wrong.

A safer option of have considered would be to setup a temporary pole that would keep the line completely clear for the duration of the move.
But I feel like, even assuming nothing goes wrong, this would be a lot more likely to get me into trouble for "tampering" with the power co's line.
[ElectriciansForums.net] Legal question regarding overhead service line

I'm also considering actually just asking the power co for assistance.
Anyone here have any clue what Aurora Energy may charge to have the line either temporarily lifted or temporarily removed?

As far as permanent solutions they could implement, I don't think it would be possible to get the required clearance by simply increasing tension on the cable. It would require moving the entry point on the house.
And I dont think I need an electrician to tell me that that would be rather expensive.

have you considered getting the tank lifted over the top of the house or power cable and lowered to where you want it?

I'm also considering actually just asking the power co for assistance.
Anyone here have any clue what Aurora Energy may charge to have the line either temporarily lifted or temporarily removed?
Asking the power company is the best way forward, not sure how the Aussie system works but in the UK the DNO would certainly raise that cable without charge in fact a property I do some work at had most of the cables around the property raised because they were too low they even installed a few taller poles to carry the cables higher than they were

Asking the power company is the best way forward, not sure how the Aussie system works but in the UK the DNO would certainly raise that cable without charge in fact a property I do some work at had most of the cables around the property raised because they were too low they even installed a few taller poles to carry the cables higher than they were
Unfortunately I suspect TasNetworks would not be as accommodating, but I would love to be proven wrong.
Based on their service and installation rules section 2.2.1 Point of Supply,
Everything on my side of the fuse at the point of entry is my responsibility, So I would need to pay a fee to have the line disconnected, then I would need to hire an electrician to move the point of entry before getting the supply reconnected.

However I did find in that document "B.1 Services Clearances from Ground and Structures" which shows that the minimum clearance from the ground is 3 meters. So I may be able to ask them to fix that.
The question is would they be able / willing to raise that to closer to 4 meters, or would they just do the bare minimum 3...

Unfortunately I suspect TasNetworks would not be as accommodating, but I would love to be proven wrong.
Based on their service and installation rules section 2.2.1 Point of Supply,
Everything on my side of the fuse at the point of entry is my responsibility, So I would need to pay a fee to have the line disconnected, then I would need to hire an electrician to move the point of entry before getting the supply reconnected.

However I did find in that document "B.1 Services Clearances from Ground and Structures" which shows that the minimum clearance from the ground is 3 meters. So I may be able to ask them to fix that.
The question is would they be able / willing to raise that to closer to 4 meters, or would they just do the bare minimum 3...
I think you need to ask them what the possible options are.
as a general rule, they are not out to get you and fine you for doing things wrong, speak to them and find a solution that suits you both.

No joy unfortunately.

A guy from TasNetworks came out and took a look.
The line is currently too low, and they would not be able to get it to the minimum height by re-tensioning it.
Which means if they were to take the line down to allow us to get the tank past, they would not be able to put it back up.

Only option would be to have the entry point moved, which is not within the budget for this project.

I think i'm just going to abandon the easy route, and find a way to drag the tank up the fire trail behind our property.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Reply to Legal question regarding overhead service line in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net