Lets see some examples of Bodge jobs you have seen the worse the better! | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Lets see some examples of Bodge jobs you have seen the worse the better! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Here check these pics of our so called electricians work
If I had been there to supervise he would have gotten his arse kicked up the street until he was wearing it as a hat!

Spot the disasters:-

1) Used black cable cos it was all he had left in his van - no trunking or white cable to do the job properly And how did i know - cos he just chucked his empty reel into my plastics bin

2) Drilled through the double glazing and yip its now lost its vacuum seal

3) Checkout those leccie tails in the cupboard - not even recessed behind the backer board and not soldered or properly connected just scotblocked together i dont even think the tape is electrical - and the kid in our building puts his bike in that cupboard - those tails are live when the time clock switches on

4) Didnt even hoover up his drill mess

Attachments

• [ElectriciansForums.net] Lets see some examples of Bodge jobs you have seen the worse the better!
    Hall_Cupboard_Electrical_Work (1).jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 228
  • [ElectriciansForums.net] Lets see some examples of Bodge jobs you have seen the worse the better!
    Hall_Cupboard_Electrical_Work (2).jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 224
    Hall_Cupboard_Electrical_Work (3).jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 216
    Hall_Cupboard_Shit_Electrical_Works (5).jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 224
Is it the schemes fault though? They haven't seen or done the job.

Surely it's the customer who needs to realise it's terrible and then report it?

How do the schemes know?

(As a random bloke and not a sparky - I don't mean to be awkward when saying that, I'm genuinely asking - How do they know it's gone on? how can they react?)

No, the schemes don't know when one of their members carries out a poor job like this.
They would know about it if they were to accept complaints about work carried out by their members from other skilled people, but they don't. They only take complaints from customers.
When a customer complains they just get told to speak to the scheme member directly and get them to deal with it.

And so the scheme turns a blind eye to the complaints whilst appearing to handle them.

At the annual assessment for scheme membership the assessor only sees the work that the scheme member wants them to see. We choose which jobs to take them to, we choose what to let them see or not see, so we only need to do 2/3 good jobs a year to stay members.

I don't see why the domestic competent persons schemes couldn't ask customers directly if they would be happy for the job to be looked at for the annual assessment. Every notified job gets a certificate sent to the customer by the scheme, they could put a note in the envelope with the certificate asking the customer if they are would be happy for the assessor to look at the job when the time comes. I believe the gas safe scheme works something like this, so why couldn't the electrical ones.
[automerge]1576422635[/automerge]
We currently have issues with the cold water blocking - not flush in the cistern and cold taps not working - I have backflushed it every time there is a blockage but i need to get up there and empty them , wetvac and sort it out as there are two tanks - one on the left feeds the boilers and the one on the right feeds the cold water taps in the bathrooms for all the flats.

Pretty gross eh - not looking forward to putting my arm in either one!

Are you a plumber by trade and insured to carry out this work?
Are you fully aware of current water regulations and the current best practices for legionella prevention etc etc?

Last edited by a moderator:
No, the schemes don't know when one of their members carries out a poor job like this.
They would know about it if they were to accept complaints about work carried out by their members from other skilled people, but they don't. They only take complaints from customers.
When a customer complains they just get told to speak to the scheme member directly and get them to deal with it.

And so the scheme turns a blind eye to the complaints whilst appearing to handle them.

At the annual assessment for scheme membership the assessor only sees the work that the scheme member wants them to see. We choose which jobs to take them to, we choose what to let them see or not see, so we only need to do 2/3 good jobs a year to stay members.

I don't see why the domestic competent persons schemes couldn't ask customers directly if they would be happy for the job to be looked at for the annual assessment. Every notified job gets a certificate sent to the customer by the scheme, they could put a note in the envelope with the certificate asking the customer if they are would be happy for the assessor to look at the job when the time comes. I believe the gas safe scheme works something like this, so why couldn't the electrical ones.
[automerge]1576422635[/automerge]

Are you a plumber by trade and insured to carry out this work?
Are you fully aware of current water regulations and the current best practices for legionella prevention etc etc?

Nope!!!!!!

But judging by the three quotes we had and the so called plumbers we would be better doing it ourselves.

One guy came in and started turning those taps that havent been turned since 1963 and yip guess what he hadn't a clue that washers dry out and yip 10 minutes after he left we had a leak!

Then we had another who was going to bail the tanks out with a bucket rather than use a pump obviously so he could spin the time out?

Third one wanted £500 - yip!

Nope if a job is worth doing its worth doing yourself.

Besides the other resident who is on these tanks is quite happy to save £300 and do it ourselves!

Plumbers lol
Haven't met a decent one ever in the history of ever!
Sadly!

Sooner you than me. I would have a very careful read of the relevant regulations and requirements.

Got a link?
Are you a plumber?
Its just between me and the neighbour below as the third neighbour has had his tapped into the mains so doesnt use the tanks now and the guy below is ok with the job he will be helping so there will be no legal problems or hassle!

I wouldnt be doing it otherwise but have actually done the job before so I ken what I am doing with the chemicals etc and the so called plumbers we have had in are just nonsense!

Tanks on the other side are just as bad but not my problem thats the neighbours across the way problem.
They had a guy in a few months ago to replace the ball valve float and he charged £260 left and the thing was overflowing and he hasnt come back to sort it - not my problem but you see my concerns and this guy was recommended on Bark and had glowing reviews!

Got a link?
Are you a plumber?
Its just between me and the neighbour below as the third neighbour has had his tapped into the mains so doesnt use the tanks now and the guy below is ok with the job he will be helping so there will be no legal problems or hassle!

I wouldnt be doing it otherwise but have actually done the job before so I ken what I am doing with the chemicals etc

No I'm not a plumber.

The guy who has had his taps fed from the mains has got his head screwed on.

No I'm not a plumber.

The guy who has had his taps fed from the mains has got his head screwed on.
Errrm

He is the guy who arranged all the electrical work so....ermm NO!
I think he got it FREE of charge cos he got rid of the old 60's vented cylinder and a combi put in - thats the only reason.
[automerge]1576429788[/automerge]
Errrm

He is the guy who arranged all the electrical work so....ermm NO!
I think he got it FREE of charge cos he got rid of the old 60's vented cylinder and a combi put in - thats the only reason.

Besides do you not think that anything is better than the way the tank is now and has been for the last 50 years?

Not sure why you are giving me a hard time dude i am only trying to help old pensioners who cannot afford to be ripped off here!
[automerge]1576430507[/automerge]
....I just want to spend an hour,in that 1970's Berni Inn snug....

Oh,and i'd use bottled water,to brush your teeth...;)

wHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH

Sorry that one went right over the top of my head

Berni Inn snug?
1970'S?
Whats that?

If you are saying my flat looks like 1970's then I thank you sir - The 70's were great easily my fave era.

Doctor Who, Space 1999, Columbo, Buck Rogers In The 25th Century, Linda Hamilton aka Wonder Woman, Sodastream, Hostess Trolleys, Sparklets and no political correctness sighhh......
:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Last edited:
Was not supposed to be spending so long on here today I have a failed plasma telly to repair and some blown Yamaha surround power fets to replace and I missed COLUMBO!!!!!!!

Sky plus hasn't made it to Orkney yet, mate?
As for Columbo, you just need to know who he has been bugging all day to know they are the culprit, even if it is the gentile vicar with the dodgy leg.

Yes, our leader, Dan has a plumbers forum and a tilers forum too. links at the bottom of the page usually.
Is your 70's getting mixed up with 80's? And whats Sparklets? Im thinking Spangles the hard sweets

Reply to Lets see some examples of Bodge jobs you have seen the worse the better! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks