Level 3 2365 design project need info on Q3 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Level 3 2365 design project need info on Q3 in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys, hope you are well. I am currently doing a level 3 2365 design project hotel, swimming pool cafe and I therefore need help on what to do on Q3. If anyone can show me a direction on what to do or show an example of how to do it would be much appreciated
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the question?
Select with the aid of manufacturers data, a suitable range of circuit protective devices for this contract. your selection should be based on the following:
Prospective short circuit currents
Requirements for additional protection and special locations.
Thanks for the reply.

Upvote 0
So what does having 3.7 KA at source, assuming the pool/cafe is the source tell you about the rating of the protective devices through the installation?

Upvote 0
So what does having 3.7 KA at source, assuming the pool/cafe is the source tell you about the rating of the protective devices through the installation?
thats what im confused about. I dont know the rating to use for it or what circuit breakers to use

Upvote 0
Circuit breakers have a maximum breaking capacity normally identified on them in amps. This is normally seen in a box on the device such as 6000, this means 6000A or 6KA. To install a 6 KA device in a distribution board where the PFC is 9KA could result in a damaged device or worse if a fault of such magnitude occurs so the rating of your device must be higher than the PFC at the point it is installed.
Your PFC is 3.7KA or 3700A so your devices must be rated above this. PFC is highest at source and reducing through the installation due to circuit impedances bringing it down.

Upvote 0
Circuit breakers have a maximum breaking capacity normally identified on them in amps. This is normally seen in a box on the device such as 6000, this means 6000A or 6KA. To install a 6 KA device in a distribution board where the PFC is 9KA could result in a damaged device or worse if a fault of such magnitude occurs so the rating of your device must be higher than the PFC at the point it is installed.
Your PFC is 3.7KA or 3700A so your devices must be rated above this. PFC is highest at source and reducing through the installation due to circuit impedances bringing it down.
Thanks for this info. What type of devices would be beneficial in this case sauna, kitchen, fridges etc..?

Upvote 0
You need to do some circuit design to establish the current rating of each protective device then decide what type you need and whether RCD protection is required.

Upvote 0
You need to do some circuit design to establish the current rating of each protective device then decide what type you need and whether RCD protection is required.
Ive already done the circuit designs. Ive looked into circuit protective device of 61009-1s, 60898s, do i select each of those types for sauna, fridges, pool etc.. take data of them from the manufacturers website and add them to the assignment?

Upvote 0
Yes add as much info as possible but not for every one. If you have a board with 36 devices just show what you have selected in terms of mcbs and rcbos. For example if you have twenty 32A type C devices just show one.

Upvote 0
Yes add as much info as possible but not for every one. If you have a board with 36 devices just show what you have selected in terms of mcbs and rcbos. For example if you have twenty 32A type C devices just show one.
hi mate sorry for bragging this. i was gonna ask one more thing.in the question it also mentions requirements for additional protection and special locations. What would I have to do for this?

Attachments

• [ElectriciansForums.net] Level 3 2365 design project need info on Q3
    IMG_3955.jpeg
    93.8 KB · Views: 12
Upvote 0
Have you looked up additional protection?
this came up but still don't know what to do .

Upvote 0
Just quote the Regulation and why you are applying it.
thanks for the help truly. I got one more question for Q4, on the table that is shown on the 7nth row (length in meters). for that do i measure the length of the cable from the distribution board to another point of the socket outlet for example in a hotel bedroom ? if you can clarify on what i should do then that would be much appreciated. I know I'm asking:sweatsmile: a lot but this would be a big help:)

Attachments

IMG_3974.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 12
    IMG_3975.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 12
Upvote 0
Length of circuit you need to measure using the scale on the plan including drops or rises to accessories. If the circuit has five points on a radial the distance is to the furthest. For volt drop if the circuit does not originate from the source you must include the volt drop of the sub main, either way make it clear how you came to the figure.

Upvote 0
Length of circuit you need to measure using the scale on the plan including drops or rises to accessories. If the circuit has five points on a radial the distance is to the furthest. For volt drop if the circuit does not originate from the source you must include the volt drop of the sub main, either way make it clear how you came to the figure.
Length of circuit you need to measure using the scale on the plan including drops or rises to accessories. If the circuit has five points on a radial the distance is to the furthest. For volt drop if the circuit does not originate from the source you must include the volt drop of the sub main, either way make it clear how you came to

The one I labelled are the led lights for the swimming pool do I measure the lengths of all of them up to the db for the swimming pools lights which are coloured yellow that is going to the switch and till the db do I measure all of them. Can you show me what I'm doing wrong in terms of the measurements

[ElectriciansForums.net] Level 3 2365 design project need info on Q3[ElectriciansForums.net] Level 3 2365 design project need info on Q3

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Reply to Level 3 2365 design project need info on Q3 in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net