Lighting circuit with no power at switch nor fittings? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Lighting circuit with no power at switch nor fittings? in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Dec

Hi there,

Please forgive me for being a fool in advance.... I am tired now.
... Have just been to a property where there are 2 lighting circuits. One circuit seems to do the whole property except for the extension out the back, the other (i am assuming at the moment), the extension.

There is power going into the circuit at the CU, but with no power at switches nor fittings in the extension?

No DIY in the property (or above) and no leaks or other know enviromental issues... It is a ground floor maisonette....

I am wondering where to start a 7am tommorow!?! After a coffee of course.

Thanks in advance for screwing mu brain in!

Hi there,

@ GrannySmiff - I think it is - not sure yet - lol

@ bugsy - I am not sure what you mean - its a radial in 1.5mm^2 on a 6A MCB. It sems to power 2 x wal lights and 1 x ceiling light on a 2G switch - however there are 4x cables in the back box (3x red/blk, 1xblu/blk)

Is this clearer?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
There could be so many combinations of what on earth is going on, you really have to be logical and start from the begining and find out whats going on.

Hi there,

@ GrannySmiff - I think it is - not sure yet - lol

@ bugsy - I am not sure what you mean - its a radial in 1.5mm^2 on a 6A MCB. It sems to power 2 x wal lights and 1 x ceiling light on a 2G switch - however there are 4x cables in the back box (3x red/balc, 1xblu/blk)

Is this clearer?

Thanks in advance

Start at the beginning, is there voltage on the outgoing side of the mcb?

Next, you'll just have to test at fittings/switches, it all points to a poor connection, maybe made worse with damp etc from the current cold spell.

Report back when you solve it, every day's a school day!

@ IQ Electrical - There is power on the outgoing side of the mcb - i have tested the switches and the fittings - no power anywhere?? I am thinking a JB somewhere on the route with a dodgy connection? (CU at front door and extension at the rear).

@ bugsy - Do you mean a continuity from a fiitingor switch with the CU? If so, not yet.

@ IQ Electrical - There is power on the outgoing side of the mcb - i have tested the switches and the fittings - no power anywhere?? I am thinking a JB somewhere on the route with a dodgy connection? (CU at front door and extension at the rear).

@ bugsy - Do you mean a continuity from a fiitingor switch with the CU? If so, not yet.

The possibilities are numerous, that's why it's so important to be methodical, before you cut holes in the ceiling...;)

I hope i get out of bed the right side in the morning, otherwise i may go in armed with pad saw in one hand a hoel cutter and my Walty in the other :D

Reply to Lighting circuit with no power at switch nor fittings? in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net