Limits of a domestic electrician? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Limits of a domestic electrician? in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

drew35

I have a simple question that I think is going to get complicated, can I work in a pub?

The reason I ask is that I trained as an electrician back in 1990 ish, then left the trade, and have just come back and re qualified in the mine field of domestic electrician. I did this because it’s all I want to do, I’ve been inside workshops for the last however many years and don’t want to see the inside of one again, let alone work in one. So domestic it is, but I don’t remember at any point anybody saying exactly what you can and can’t do? I don’t want to work in commercial, industrial, or agricultural as I may get my hands dirty! But a pub, oh how I’ve dreamed of working from home!

So to me domestic means a house where somebody lives, but the pub has a flat above? Not only that but my wife says that “I live in the pub”, so does that count? Not only that but a guy with a hotel wants some work done, and again it’s all fed from a standard domestic single phase supply? If the rules say I can’t do it then fine, but I think most electricians would do it anyway wouldn't they?

Thanks for your help.

if u are qualified, have the relevant certs etc then i dont see what difference it makes, as long as u test all ccts with regards to bs7671 regs etc then u should be ok. Part p is only for domestic............anything else, i would test in the same way, use the same guidelines from regs and record on a cert. Are you registered? if so, call them and ask their opinion?!

hope this helps

Anyone who is competent can work in a commercial premisis, Complete installation and test as per regs and fill in a generic EIC, however if the pub shares a meter with the flat above then the Domestic rules of Part p come into play for the whole installation and has to be completed and notified as such, either by means of a DI scam or B/control

I agree with ukpablo. Do whatever you feel you are competent to do.

At the end of the day all of your work is carried out and tested to the same regs.

Thank you, that's what I thought. If I see anything that I think is outside my capabilities I will always back away and leave it for somebody who has relevant experience.

Also, you should check with the owner of the pub, as they may insist on using an approved contractor from a particular scheme.

Also check you PL insurance as most of the time they dont cover commercial works involving 3 phase, if thats what is there.

Reply to Limits of a domestic electrician? in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net