Lived- in rewire | Page 3 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Lived- in rewire in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

As mentioned by Dave and others,know the layout of the property and use already fixed voids and conduits as much as you can. If you THINK the plaster is bad in an area,bank on that all falling off...a few years ago,i assisted a pal on a lived in rewire and he spent an hour skillfully chasing a 4" path floor to ceiling on landing in the middle of the 2 foot gap between bedrooms. Dead pleased he was,but as he tacked the capping over all the cables,the jolly lot,both sides came down. Think of that dust cloud when the twin towers came down,and we enjoyed gritty tea and biscuits as we hoovered...

pmsl I've been doing mine for 3 years! So its not just me lol. New CU due to the new bathroom with a shower and spa bath, bonding done for the house whilst I had floorboards up at the time. Since then nothing has been done! I have'nt even got a earth yet!!! Just using the water mains at 0.32 Ohms atm lol. I'll put a rod in at the weekend. Or I might do a DIY PME from the incomer :rofl:

I've told Mrs M that whatever room she wants to redecorate next gets a rewire. That planted a seed.... "The living room." Bloody hell, a new gas fire so we have to rip out the chimney breast, re plaster, wall paper all before xmas. I should not have opened my big gob. Early next year she wants to re-do the kitchen. This involves knocking down 3 stories of chimney breast throughout the house, plastering the walls and ceiling, decorating then its the bloody cost of the kitchen with the new range cooker that will "fit nicely in the old chimney space my love!"

I can see that 2014 will be me doing a lot of work to pay for this + a lot of work me doing it all lol. And yes we will be living in the house whilst all this goes on, just to get this thread back on track.

Don't forget to underpin that chimney stack otherwise you'll have a Hell of a lot more work to do!!

Yeah the one's like that are hellish.

The one i mentioned, lady (and i use that term as loosely as possible) greeted us at the door with baby in one arm and ciggy in other hand. I kid you not! There was crap all over the carpets, some of it didn't even know what it was and dont want to know lol.
Dirty clothing all over the floor's and bursting from wardrobes. Her bloke surfaced around ten ish and proceeded to just sit around all day. Really was a bleak place to be. But the worst thing by far was the kitchen! Literally filthy dishes everywhere, and some stayed there for a few day's! cooker was just a metal cube of grease, cups with mold the hole shibang. Just couldn't believe how little they cared. They showed no embarrassment or even apologized for the condition of the place.

Was a bad couple of weeks lol

Yep .... just like the one I was on - except I had the bloody dogs as well.

The place stunk to high heaven and at the end of the day so did I and no matter how long I was in the shower or how much soap & shower gel I used I couldn't get rid of the smell

Yep .... just like the one I was on - except I had the bloody dogs as well.

The place stunk to high heaven and at the end of the day so did I and no matter how long I was in the shower or how much soap & shower gel I used I couldn't get rid of the smell

So now we know where the attraction came from...

No 2 9 hour days me and a mate, it was council houses, maybe a bit misleading the kitchen was wired during the rewire, but chased in later by someone else about 1 day 1st fix and 2nd fix

I did a lived in in may , private x council house , attic converted bedroom , 7 people living in the house 1 a baby but most in there 20's + parents imagine every room packed with stuff. in the day time the house was a crèche !! I took a week off work to do it . Started on Saturday 8-7 to 1st fix where was used for crèche purposes , to be out the way of children on Monday morn , earliest I finished in 9 days was 7 and latest was 10 ! I did two days 1st fix on my own realised I was trying to peee in a tornado and got my father out of retirement to help me witch was invaluable and my apprentice gave me a half day on 2nd Saturday to 2nd Fix lighting. I finished on 7o'clock 2nd Sunday , I gotta say I was absolutely exhausted in actual work the week after ,
Investments you should make while doing such jobs
> chasing machine + vacuum attachment ( essential! )
> pack of super rods with all the trimmings !! Huge time saver
> telescopic mirror
> cable drum jacks
> lucozade
> dust sheet's every where
> sense of humour
> plan job well,witch client, and material exetra ( minimise wholesaler trips )

I have wired probably close to a hundred myself over the years and the same again at least with others doing them for me with people living in the houses. My verdict = unless you have no other work avoid at all costs, I wouldn't wire one for 5 grand and I am serious about that. Bloody nightmare, especially in the summer holidays. If you have no work and need to earn money every week then do it, but as I mentioned before allow 3 days on top of the quote for lifting and laying carpets and boards, dust sheeting everything all the time, vacuuming daily and moving everything about including the Dog, Cat, playstation, Tv, DVD etc etc. have fun.

Reply to Lived- in rewire in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net