Looking for a 'touch' switch for bathroom wall light. | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Looking for a 'touch' switch for bathroom wall light. in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Shooby

-
Reaction score
Hi all.

Situation is that a friend's currently-refurb'd en-suite has its main ceiling light switched from outside as normal. They also want a light, separately switched, above the mirror. Problem is, they hate pull-cords - both beeg ceiling ones, and wee light fitting ones - and the modern mirrors with built-in sensors are too clinical in design for their Victorian flat.

Currently there's just a perm live wire coming out the wall. We're looking at some form of proximity sensor or remote switch, and the control unit for either could be fitted in the wall cavity, covered, and then hidden behind the mirror, so fully IP protected.

I have found two possible solutions - has anyone on here come across them or, ideally, used them? One is this wire-free remote, self-powered switch, which is a neat idea, but it's large and clicky, and not ideal for their en-suite. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B6J5MKCH/ In short, it's ugly.

The other idea is a unit with a wired IR sensor. In theory, all this would have visible is the wee round black sensor front: Amazon.co.uk - https://www.amazon.co.uk/BHIRH-250A-Patented-Voltage-100-240V-Intelligent/dp/B01H1GG62Q/ref=sr_1_5

The second solution is much neater, but it wouldn't be obvious to new users what it is :)

Does anyone have other solutions, or a nicer-looking variation of the second option above? Thanks.

As an Amazon Associate Electricians Forums may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases.
Some mirrors come with a touch or proximity switch built in…. So you just wave your hand in front of it, and it comes on.

Some also have demisters built in, so mirror never steams up.

And if you want super fancy…. Built in Bluetooth speakers.

Try some bathroom showrooms at local builders merchants.. they might have ones set up for trying out.

I'm not sure Amazon is the best source of design solutions 🤪 but the kinetic concept you mention in your first link has become quite popular, even with some electricians!
There's the "Quinetic" brand of self powered switches and receiver modules that's gained a good reputation for reliable self-powered switches. They started with the 'big square' clicky panel that you don't like, but they now make many little rocker style modules that fit into popular brands of light switch plate (but you don't need the wires!). You would obviously need one of their receiver modules in the wall (or the light fitting) as well.

What I'm trying to say is that you could have a traditional light switch plate with one of these 'self powered' switches in it. Or a thin 'architrave switch, or a module in your own design of surround, or even a key fob. I've used Click minigrid Quinetic switches in click switch plates to good effect.

The electrical suppliers TLC sell them - examples Quinetic | TLC Electrical - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Manufacturers/Quinetic/index.html?

[ElectriciansForums.net] Looking for a 'touch' switch for bathroom wall light.

Thank you, both.

Seems like common sense may have prevailed, and the fellow is indeed going for one of the modern mirrors you mentioned, Littlespark, and then having it framed in timber! Ah well... It is the most sensible option, as everything is already taken care of, and the de-mist is a great feature.

Reply to Looking for a 'touch' switch for bathroom wall light. in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net