Looking to change career | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Looking to change career in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi folks,

i am currently been made redundant from my job as a youth worker, so decided that now was the perfect opportunity for me to make a change.

I guess the question I have is I am looking to to do the 17ed wiring regs test then the 2394 & 2395 courses before I am without a job then hopefully look to get a job as an electricians mate with these quals then hopefully be a mate for a year or so while I pay to do the nvq 3 within that time. Is that a valid path to take and would people take me on as a mate with these quals? I'm 30 years old so I don't think the college route for me is a valid option.

Any thoughts on this?

You need to do the 2365 first as you need to learn electrical theory in order to design and install circuits safely (or you can do the 2357 which incorporates NVQ3 and AM2). This can be done in the evenings while working as an electrician's mate/labourer. Neither the 2394/5 or the 17th edition wiring regs course teach you the required electrical theory.

what he said ^^^^ 3 years evenings for 2365 then think about 2394/5 and it will then be 18th edition. you'll be qualified at 35 so still have 30+ years on the tools.

Do the 3 years at college mate and get some real theory behind you, you will be glad you did.
Im 32 and didnt qualify until i was 29 so your not exactly past it mate.
Do it once and do it properly is my advice mate. good luck

no, you don't need anything to be a mate. but the 2365/7 is the core knowledge course before going on to nvq, 17th, 2395, etc

To get on site you need an ecs card.... then you will be able gain some experience whist doing your college bits and finally your nvq3.
You dont need a qualification to tag along with a sparky mate!

i looked at my local college and all they offer is the nvq 3 over 2 years but you already need to be in employment for that. the only 2365 courses i have found are the ones that are around £7000 and can be completed in a few months.

so i should look to find a job as an electricians mate and try find somewhere to do 2365 on evenings then once i completed that move onto the nvq3?

So the 2394/5 are irrelevant to starting out then? Wouldn't me getting something be better for me to start out as i cant see many people wanting to take on a 30 year old trainee lol. At least if i had those it would show some sort of commitment and make me more employable as a mate?

Dont matter if your 30.... aslong as your keen and prepared to start from the bottom and learn then age dont matter. Just crack on mate

yea i am committed. i just want to make sure i do it right. I think long term i might go uni and do another degree and maybe go into engineering side of things but i want to get a few years of being an electrician under the belt first.

Best i get looking for people who would take a 30 year old then lol :D

Thanks for the help guys much appreciated any more tips will be happily received :D

Reply to Looking to change career in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net