Low Zs at socket, Any ideas?? | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Low Zs at socket, Any ideas?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

TheCodboy

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi all, while testing Zs on a ring final circuit i found one socket to have a particularly low Zs. All others were reading between 0.25- 0.30 but this one was reading 0.08-0.09. Its got a brand new Crabtree double socket installed. A full RFC test has been carried out, and this is the only socket with a reading this low. Obviously i know its better than high, but was just wondering if anyone could shed some light.
Its a TNS system, Ze 0.26

I've always thought that, but what about the following scenarios..

1. Property is TNCS or TNS. The metal pipework on the bonding is deep underground and aids in the Zs (but is not included in the Ze as the main earth has been removed from the MET). If the additional earth pathway created by the bonding outweighs the R1+R2 couldn't the Zs<Ze?

2. Also, what if you have an Ra = 200Ω (TT) and the bonding of the property is also attached to the bonding of the adjacent property which is TNCS? Wouldn't the Zs of the property be influenced by the adjacent properties TNCS?

3. Ra = 200Ω (TT). Pipework on gas/water deep underground. Would this not influence the Zs and perhaps make it <200Ω

Just having a sit in the garden and pondering these deep matters :)
Yes, I've rather stepped into it here, haven't I? I'm thinking as Ze was 0.26 the bonding in/out isn't going to cause this. I have measured bonding as low as 2 Ohms (ish) which would've given 0.23 Ohms for example.
Whole different story with TT :)

So this socket is definitely part of the ring final circuit? Not a radial or anything odd. Were you measuring Zs on L-PE or L-N was ATT on or off or accidentally switched off for it? Was the right type of MCB selected on the MFT? That would bug the hell out of me 'til I got the bottom of it.

Zsocket can be lower than Ze due to bonding, and even lower than Zdb if there is a local earth path to the socket that is very low indeed. Unlikely though, I agree.

One oddity that has given me nonsensical low readings is incorrect nulling of the test leads. Some testers cannot or could not in the past display a negative reading for impedance. So if you null the leads with say 0.4Ω additional resistance due to poor contact, measuring 0.2Ω will still read 0.2Ω but measuring 0.39Ω will read 0.01Ω.

Zsocket can be lower than Ze due to bonding, and even lower than Zdb if there is a local earth path to the socket that is very low indeed. Unlikely though, I agree.

One oddity that has given me nonsensical low readings is incorrect nulling of the test leads. Some testers cannot or could not in the past display a negative reading for impedance. So if you null the leads with say 0.4Ω additional resistance due to poor contact, measuring 0.2Ω will still read 0.2Ω but measuring 0.39Ω will read 0.01Ω.
All tested fine today so I’m happy enough now. Giving the expected results. May have been something squiffy with the mft or something silly like that.

Reply to Low Zs at socket, Any ideas?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net