Main Equipotential Bonding | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Main Equipotential Bonding in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

EddieB

-
Arms
Reaction score
To settle an argument, can anybody advise when 10mm bonding became the norm...Thanks. in advance

I think it was a 17th edition change but not certain

I trained on the 15th/16th from 1990, and I’m pretty certain I was told to run a 10mm for equipotential bonding, and 4mm for all supplemental bonding.

Main protective bonds should be not less that half the csa of the earthing conductor and not less than 6.0 unless PME conditions apply, this has been stated as far back as the 15th Ed when I started work. The 15th Ed never quoted a minimum size where PME conditions applied just that the electricity supplier should be consulted it was the 16th Ed that quoted 10.0 as a minimum size for PME systems.
So whilst 10.0 is considered the norm it does not apply to all systems.
There are PME systems out there with main protective bonds sized at 6.0 installed pre 16th Ed and you have no way of knowing if they were correct at the time as they would have been sized to supply company requirements.

Last edited:
Main protective bonds should be not less that half the csa of the earthing conductor and not less than 6.0 unless PME conditions apply, this has been stated as far back as the 15th Ed when I started work. The 15th Ed never quoted a minimum size where PME conditions applied just that the electricity supplier should be consulted it was the 16th Ed that quoted 10.0 as a minimum size for PME systems.
So whilst 10.0 is considered the norm it does not apply to all systems.
There are PME systems out there with main protective bonds sized at 6.0 installed pre 16th Ed and you have no way of knowing if they were correct at the time as they would have been sized to supply company requirements.
:thumbsup:

The stop cock for the water system is in the kitchen on the other side of the. house , no. access to the stop cock due. to tiled floor and fitted kitchen, I repeat no access, but. I can get to the cold water main in the immersion cupboard, is. this acceptable?

i thought this was just to settle an argument?

The question is, does it need bonded at all? Or is it plastic water pipe coming into the property?

i thought this was just to settle an argument?

The question is, does it need bonded at all? Or is it plastic water pipe coming into the property?
it is, I reckon the existing 6mm that's at the stopcock which I cant get to should have been changed when the board was changed in 1994, which I believe is the 16th edition.

I remember back in the 80s with pme earthing arrangements some electricians were running 16mm earth for absolutely everything even cross bonding. Most 60A supplies the main earthing conductor was 6mm

Reply to Main Equipotential Bonding in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net