main incoming on a tt | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss main incoming on a tt in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

egginyourface

went to a job couple of days ago where supplier hadnt supplied earth and looks like it was taking from the water pipe.

Mains water had been up graded to plastic so that wasnt doin the job anymore.

So somewhere down the line someone had come along and stuck a spike in.

I did a test and got a reading of 5ohms. No rcd protection was present. So I told the customer to call energy supplier to come have a look.

To cut a long story short they issued a danger notice and cut the supply at the head by pulling fuse.

Customer calls me with engineer there and tells me theres nothing they can do other than upgrade it to pme but would cost £3,000.

What they offered was that they could strip back sheathing and let me attach earth clamp. they tested the loop impedance from the outer sheathing and they were getting .5ohms.

I refused to use an earth clamp on the sheathing as its illegal for me to mess around with suppliers side of meter.

Is this allowed? Ive seen it many times but never actually put a clamp on the incomer.

Shouldnt it be sweated on by them??

why can't they attach the clamp if they're already agreed to strip the sheath back? would have thought they would have told you not to fit a clamp yourself.

I offfered them an upgrade but they think im trying to rip them off.... @ £390.

Just thought that living in built up area they should have a earth supplied. The head is over 100 years old and main fuse holder has detatched itself from the back board, not to mention the exposed conductors going into cut out.

Would it be that hard to fit new head and supply earth?

Had the same problem with couple of other houses on the same road and supplier sorted them out!!

I spoke to the engineer on the phone and he started getting all arsey. He even asked if i was a proper electrician!!

Ive emailed customer pics of installation along with a description of what i saw as being dangerous an that dno need to repair this.

DNO have just said they will charge a call out for every time they come out which has put customer off calling them round

What else can i do? Customer seems to think they've had no problems up to now so why should they worry.

Sounds like BG to me they issue DN's at the drop of a hat ,accused me of doing a bad install when it was a fault on their meter they did do the testing with a plug in socket tester and a volt stick !!

Have you got proof that they asked you to fit the clamp? If so get onto your club and get them fighting your corner..

Actually if the customer thinks your ripping them off fitting a new CU and sorting out the TT side of things then screw them, let them pay the 3 grand...

Ive sent them about 5 emails urging them to sort it out with proof fo what is wrong.

The ball is in there court now

DNO engineer even had the cheek to say to customer that recently they've been getting alot of these and they wont take responibilty for them anymore.

what a joke!!

Probably some **** in an office saying they neeed to cut there expenses!!

If they supplier hasn't supplied an earthing facilty from the off, they are under no obligation to provide you with one now.

The way I see it, the customer either pays you £400 odd for a suitable Cu upgrade or £3000 to the DNO to PME their system and supply you with an MET.

Kind of a no brainer to me.

Apologies if I have the wrong end of the stick though.

If they supplier hasn't supplied an earthing facilty from the off, they are under no obligation to provide you with one now.

The way I see it, the customer either pays you £400 odd for a suitable Cu upgrade or £3000 to the DNO to PME their system and supply you with an MET.

2nd'ed......

3rd'd !

If the head is a BS 3036, they are duty bound to replace the service head free of any charges, in fact there is Nationwide drive for all such heads to be upgraded by a certain date!! If they start getting bolshy get in contact with the ombudsman and they will get it sorted...

It's a pity the OP didn't post up some of these photo's he's taken, so that we could have given a much clearer course of advise....

If the head is a BS 3036, they are duty bound to replace the service head free of any charges, in fact there is Nationwide drive for all such heads to be upgraded by a certain date!! If they start getting bolshy get in contact with the ombudsman and they will get it sorted...

It's a pity the OP didn't post up some of these photo's he's taken, so that we could have given a much clearer course of advise....

For purely academic interest, 3036 encompasses the rewireables and other equipment, presumably the cast iron heads?

Reply to main incoming on a tt in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net