Max distance cable can run overhead without support | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Max distance cable can run overhead without support in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I have been through the regs. Have a garage wired from a house. Cable runs overhead at an appropriate height and is suitable cable. The distance in mid air is about 2m. My question is does this need mechanical support by way of a conduit or tray. It does seem a bit excessive for that distance. Cable does not under tension. Any guidance would be helpful.

Catenary wire.

Steel wire suspended under tension (turnbuckles) and fixed securely to the walls.
Electric cable is then tied to the catenary.

The catenary takes all the strain, the cable is simply hanging.

For 2m, I think I would probably use a bit of unistrut tied in at both ends.

Catenary wire.

Steel wire suspended under tension (turnbuckles) and fixed securely to the walls.
Electric cable is then tied to the catenary.

The catenary takes all the strain, the cable is simply hanging.
Thanks Littespark,

The cable is not SWA looks like HiTuff. Even if the cable is only travelling under 2m will it still require support with Catenary wire?

J

I think the regs put it as “under undue strain” or something.

I take it there’s no risk of this cable being struck by anything passing underneath?

Is burying it not an option?

Reply to Max distance cable can run overhead without support in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net