mechanical protection of garden lighting flex | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss mechanical protection of garden lighting flex in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Evening all,
i just would like some clarification on the best practice concerning mechanical protection of garden lighting flex. I have installed swa throughout the system buried 500mm terminating in ip56 box's to be buried underground. The system is connected to a garage ccu with RCD protection.From the box i am connecting a saxby mains 7w led lamp which has a inter-grated flex. As the flex will be buried do i have to provide mechanical protection ie pvc conduit?
When using ip56 box's do you still normally magic gel to keep moisture out?
Thanx Richardg

I was just about to put a thread asking if anyone had used the"magic gel" iv seen it @ wholesalers but noone i know has used it yet

when i used to install water features (big ones- like trafalgar square), the anything buried, would be filled with resin. As long as the light can be accessed for testing, job done. will never fail, and is mechanically sound too.

when i used to install water features (big ones- like trafalgar square), the anything buried, would be filled with resin. As long as the light can be accessed for testing, job done. will never fail, and is mechanically sound too.

Read somewhere the other day that the resin compound we use now has to be issued with a warning notice saying 'carcinogen substance'. Scary :/

theres Magic Gel and also Liquid Levers Gel.......integrated flex/cable sounds like it wasnt designed to be burried, would cover it with a short length of 20mm copex flexible plastic conduit.....

Any junction or jointing box that is direct buried in the ground will NEED resin or other form of filling. Any empty box that is sealed without such filling will encounter condensation,that can and will lead to future problems...

Reply to mechanical protection of garden lighting flex in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net