Megger pat 4 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Megger pat 4 in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

acat

Hi Folks

I wonder if anyone has come across this one and can provide an answer.

My motherboard died so had to buy and fit a replacement, everything worked fine until I wanted to download from the pat 4 new pc has no RS232 port. So I thought no problem I will get a RS232 to USB converter cable.

Cable arrived this morning installed the new drivers, connected everything up and still nothing. So is it possible to download using this cable and if so how

Many thanks

Chris

Are you using a pc with vista Chris? I had the same prob couldn't download to vista so now I have to use old pc with xp installed and no problems with that.

Abit off topic but I wonder if this is a universal problem with vista, as the alarm panels we install require a serial port (to program) so we also use the usb converter but it seems to only work on xp machines!

Last edited:
Thanks Sintra thought I had everything sussed even had them both on Com 8 but you are correct its that VISTA again :mad: now all I need is the nearest bin.

Chris

Chris, how comfortable are you using PCs? I ask because I am using Ubuntu Linux operating system - it is MUCH more usable out of the box these days (or download, burn CD, then install.) But you still need a bit of computer savvy to make the most of it.
You can install it as dual boot so you can keep windows if you like. After trying dual boot for two days I already felt confident enough to totally remove windows and only have Ubuntu. You can get most windows software to run on it (if you really feel the need) through a program called 'Wine' though am not sure about proprietary Electrical Test software. I have a Fluke 6500 for pat testing and download my results with no problem, though I hack the results files myself using databases and spreadsheets.
I have been totally microsoft-free for three months now and apart from the odd frustration have been very happy - I am a bit of a techie hacker though :)

Thanks Ringer Im not to bad bought my first computer 30 years ago (showing my age now) since then I have never bought one I build my own. Must admit though never used other OSs as I always thought there would be major compatibility issues. I will take up your suggestion least I know who to call on when I start banging my head against the wall:)

Chris

I just past my 2330 level 3 I have my 17 edition and past that new course 2392 thort I would need it to register part p. I found out that I could register with my 17 edition I sent of for a grant few months ago for a part p courses found out I dont need it now because I can register because I have my 17 and was told I needed part p course
so not shore wether to put my grant towards 2391 course but found out it is a hard course to pass or do I put my grant towards registering and insted any surgestions.

2391 7 out of 10 fail it I would go for registration with competent person scheme then at least you can work without paying building control who are expensive any balance put towords 2391 if you can

Chris

Reply to Megger pat 4 in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net