message freom a domestic installer | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss message freom a domestic installer in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
Hello, fellow sparkies. I’m a fully qualified electrician having done a 5 week course , got my Part P and everything. Got my NICEIC domestic installer inspection in 2 weeks. Going to rewire my parents house for the inspector to see. It’s a prefab, all concrete, built about 1950 and is wired in that awful round copper covered cable that fits into the boxes with brass nuts. It’s all 2 core cable, so there’s no earth. I’m going to do it all in stickyback plastic trunking, should only take me about a week. The niceic want a small job as well, so I plan to fit a circuit for washing machine and tumble dryer in the only place in my small flat where they will fit. The bathroom. As the floor is tiled, I can’t get to the socket cables, so I plan to come from the bathroom light in the attic, down the corner of the bathroom in trunking, under the bath, and fit a double socket under the bath where the taps are. I’ve looked up in the regulations, and that’s OK because you need a screwdriver to get the panel off. Also it makes the plumbing easy, straight from the tap pipes. And, because there’s no earth on the lighting, I can fix a wire from the earth of the socket to the cold water pipe. One thing I could not understand from the course is why I need to use thick cable on showers and cookers. Is it something to do with the bigger cable allowing the amps to flow faster, like bigger water pipes allow faster water flowing?

Hello, fellow sparkies. I’m a fully qualified electrician having done a 5 week course , got my Part P and everything. Got my NICEIC domestic installer inspection in 2 weeks. Going to rewire my parents house for the inspector to see. It’s a prefab, all concrete, built about 1950 and is wired in that awful round copper covered cable that fits into the boxes with brass nuts. It’s all 2 core cable, so there’s no earth. I’m going to do it all in stickyback plastic trunking, should only take me about a week. The niceic want a small job as well, so I plan to fit a circuit for washing machine and tumble dryer in the only place in my small flat where they will fit. The bathroom. As the floor is tiled, I can’t get to the socket cables, so I plan to come from the bathroom light in the attic, down the corner of the bathroom in trunking, under the bath, and fit a double socket under the bath where the taps are. I’ve looked up in the regulations, and that’s OK because you need a screwdriver to get the panel off. Also it makes the plumbing easy, straight from the tap pipes. And, because there’s no earth on the lighting, I can fix a wire from the earth of the socket to the cold water pipe. One thing I could not understand from the course is why I need to use thick cable on showers and cookers. Is it something to do with the bigger cable allowing the amps to flow faster, like bigger water pipes allow faster water flowing?
There's too many questions, i think you need to get an electrician in before you kill yourself or somebody else :D
And yes a shower needs at least a 25mm cable, don't worry about doing any calculations a 25mm on a 32A will be fine for anything up to 11,000,000kW

There's too many questions, i think you need to get an electrician in before you kill yourself or somebody else :D
And yes a shower needs at least a 25mm cable, don't worry about doing any calculations a 25mm on a 32A will be fine for anything up to 11,000,000kW

25mm. OK. should i use armoured? we didn't do thet on the course.

Wouldn't waste money on the sticky trunking. Just run the cable under the carpets round the edge of the rooms, then for the lights go up in the corner where it can be painted or papered over. Good plan on getting rid of that stupid metal cabling - being only 2 core and no earth AND well over 25 years old it is lethal, and I bet if you cut it open you'll find the plastic insulation has degraded and turned to powder. Worst cabling system ever.

Also don't bother getting your lights earth from a socket as (1) lights are out of reach so don't really need earthing, and (2) if you really want one then wind the cable round your water pipe, as that is earthed anyway.

i wouldnt use stickyback plastic trunking, do it properly and use the stuff you can screw to the wall so it doesnt come off. A good tip for the washer and drier, if space is tight stand the drier on top of the washer, and dont bother with a double socket, use a single with an adaptor, this way when the cable gets warm it will keep your bathroom temperature comfortable. Let us know how you get on and good luck.

no time for arse scratching. the course was very intense. loads to learn. we even lernt about 3 phase. that's where you have 2 spare ones so if one goes down, you can use one of the others. clever, eh?

no time for arse scratching. the course was very intense. loads to learn. we even lernt about 3 phase. that's where you have 2 spare ones so if one goes down, you can use one of the others. clever, eh?
Yeah you should just wrap those in tape or if you want to impress put them in a choc block, did they teach bonding everything? Plastic water pipes, plasterboard screws, door hinges, window frames etc, bonding is vital!

but won't thact cut into her wrists. pink handcuffs are better. and stop going off topic. i need to learn electrics so i can go out and earn my £50K/annum, like the course told me.

You can but you'll have to get the dno to do that for you as its illegal for us to touch the meter or fuse and you'll be imprisoned for at least 30 years

great. free food, sky tv, pool, darts, heroin, can't wait. where's my meter?

Reply to message freom a domestic installer in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net