Meter calibration in Derby area | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Meter calibration in Derby area in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

sparksburnout

-
Nearly Esteemed
Reaction score
Not sure if I'm in the right area here, and I know there are other threads, but just wondering if anyone knows a decent and importantly reasonable place or person to get my MFT calibrated? I've noticed some guys have found "walk in" places, this would be good as it would be a right pain to be without it for days on end. I am in Derby/Notts area.

Do you know what the criteria is for a controlled environment then or are you just assuming that it is not a controlled environment. Can you co firm what this criteria is ?
I am not having a go at anyone but would just like to know why this can't be done & the reasons why as if you had a mobile lab then surely you could do it.
Just for example same as the asbestos testing after they have removed, pay independant person to confirm air tests & samples are clear & this is a mobile unit & also controlled enviroment.#14

Do you know what the criteria is for a controlled environment then or are you just assuming that it is not a controlled environment. Can you co firm what this criteria is ?
I am not having a go at anyone but would just like to know why this can't be done & the reasons why as if you had a mobile lab then surely you could do it.
Just for example same as the asbestos testing after they have removed, pay independant person to confirm air tests & samples are clear & this is a mobile unit & also controlled enviroment.#14

For a start the meter and calibration equipment need to be allowed to to stabilise in the same environment to ensure they are at the same temperature, humidity, pressure etc.
How long does it take an electrical test meter to completely stabilise to the lab temperature? It is generally reckoned to be a couple of days minimum, so that throws a one-day service out of the window!

For a start the meter and calibration equipment need to be allowed to to stabilise in the same environment to ensure they are at the same temperature, humidity, pressure etc.
How long does it take an electrical test meter to completely stabilise to the lab temperature? It is generally reckoned to be a couple of days minimum, so that throws a one-day service out of the window!

Our on site accredited lab, reckons minimum 8 to 12 hours to for acclimatisation...

Sounds about right. Worried about couriers losing his MFT, but any old buckshee cert will do to certify it!! ..lol!!
What a load of nonsense . Does the MFT operate in a controlled environment where it has time to settle down for 12 hours? It's for domestic work, do you really think it needs calibrating to these fine tolerances anyway? The meter itself won't be that accurate, and pretty unlikely to drift out in a year, just another money squeezing excessive, along with nearly a ton for two more yellow books with a load of rubbish in them about fireproof CU's when all anyone needs to do is tighten the *****g screws up.

Must admit I do not get my mft calibrated yearly, I do use my check box monthly & this satisfys my assessor.

Having said that, the few problems I've had over the years where I've had to send the tester off for calibration/repair were never picked up during my monthly test but always on site when nulling the leads or through unstable readings.

I think both eng54 & sparksburnout have valid points, you do not need such fine tollerances on site doing the usual testing, but if you do need to calibrate your instrument then you should use an AKAS accredited company.

What a load of nonsense . Does the MFT operate in a controlled environment where it has time to settle down for 12 hours? It's for domestic work, do you really think it needs calibrating to these fine tolerances anyway? The meter itself won't be that accurate, and pretty unlikely to drift out in a year, just another money squeezing excessive, along with nearly a ton for two more yellow books with a load of rubbish in them about fireproof CU's when all anyone needs to do is tighten the *****g screws up.

As i said if you don't give a crap about the credibility of the calibration certificate your paying for, then any old Tom Dick or Harry is good enough to carry it out.

Don't know about you or others here, but i want to ''KNOW'' that i can rely on the values my test equipment is displaying, whether that is for domestic work or commercial/industrial work!! Oh and depending on how and where your test equipment is stored/kept, along with how it's generally treated, tolerance/accuracy's can quite easily drift off, and quite a lot quicker than a year too!!

Unlike much of what's written into the AMD -3, having your test equipment calibrated to the best possible standards isn't nonsense or a load of rubbish...

So you reckon the average domestic spark is going to shell out upwards of 250 quid to get a 300 quid meter tinkered about with every year? Might as well buy a new one! Unless you get a top of the range one they are not that accurate anyway, but they are perfectly good enough for domestic work.

So you reckon the average domestic spark is going to shell out upwards of 250 quid to get a 300 quid meter tinkered about with every year? Might as well buy a new one! Unless you get a top of the range one they are not that accurate anyway, but they are perfectly good enough for domestic work.

What the hell are you on about, where are you pulling those prices from, ...out of thin air??

All you need to do is give your MFT (or whatever) to a recognised accredited test lab to conduct calibration testing. Plenty of them around and costs are pretty much the same as for paying for a worthless cert off of one of these make believe mobile testers...

How about test-meter, the forum test equipment sponsor, who also provide a meter calibration service, or don't you trust them either. lol!!

So now according to you, current electrical test equipment aren't very accurate, ....and there was me thinking that each test function has stipulated requirements with minimum accuracy requirement...

Well, I have rang round a few companies in my area and more than one are quoting the figures I mentioned for a "Full UKCAS" calibration, including the settling time in the lab that you mention. I just rang test-meter, and they are talking the same figures as the mobile guy that was recommended by another member, strikes me there isn't going to be much difference? It might have been useful if you had just suggested then in the first place!

Well, I have rang round a few companies in my area and more than one are quoting the figures I mentioned for a "Full UKCAS" calibration, including the settling time in the lab that you mention. I just rang test-meter, and they are talking the same figures as the mobile guy that was recommended by another member, strikes me there isn't going to be much difference? It might have been useful if you had just suggested then in the first place!

There is no need for a full blown UKCAS calibration, that's ridiculous, that sort of certificate is reserved for high end bench proving meters and the like.

So what do you think is going to be the better route to take then, test-meter (or other local accredited test lab) or a guy that swans around supposedly calibrating electrical test equipment all costing approx the same?? For me it's a no-brainer, but i'm particular when it comes to my test equipment....

The last meter I had calibrated cost more than buying a new meter. Fortunately the company was paying.

As for mobile testing, I can’t see how it can be accredited when the test conditions aren’t stable. As E54 said, “not worth the paper it’s written on”.

The last meter I had calibrated cost more than buying a new meter. Fortunately the company was paying.

As for mobile testing, I can’t see how it can be accredited when the test conditions aren’t stable. As E54 said, “not worth the paper it’s written on”.
How the hell can calibrating a meter cost more than buying a new one? I think you guys need to get on planet "REAL"

Reply to Meter calibration in Derby area in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net