Meter options for a 16A commando socket? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Meter options for a 16A commando socket? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
My customer has a 16A commando socket in their garage. The garage is rented out and used as a kiln room. It does have a separate CU in it.

He has asked if the power usage of the commando socket can be monitored. Not just a live reading, but a cumulative reading (as a normal meter would do).

I have found this SU2 16A 1 Way Metered Static Caravan Hook Up Point - https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/products/1902022-su2-16a-1-way-metered-static-caravan-hook-up-point?gclid=CjwKCAiAxp-ABhALEiwAXm6IyYzo4dfhVXIZRR41k615H5ABmKgjM11H6oO5zkz93j79eeK6AdKXKRoCo9AQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

but I cant quite see where the meter part is, or if it keeps on ongoing record of the power useage.

I will suggest to the customer a normal meter put before the whole CU, but he may well be asking for just the commando socket as certain outside lights may be attached to it and therefore shouldn't be paid for by the person renting.

Does anyone know of a product that would work here?

for some unknown reason the meter is fitted on it's side
It's DIN rail mounted. I have a few in use around here, monitoring various things.
If there's room in the CU, you could obtain and fit one to record the total consumption.
The alternative is a standard meter, such as you have for your DNO supply, available on ebay, etc., for around £20, mounted beside the CU, with the meter tails going into the CU

The Din rail mounted meter looks good. How does it work? The kiln will be on a 20A MCB, how do you get the meter to just show the current from that breaker if they are both on the same busbar?

For example the DDS238-1 looks like it has a live in and a live out (which goes to the load), but I need it to also go through a 20A mcb on the same busbar for overload protection

Last edited:
The Din rail mounted meter looks good. How does it work? The kiln will be on a 20A MCB, how do you get the meter to just show the current from that breaker if they are both on the same busbar?

For example the DDS238-1 looks like it has a live in and a live out (which goes to the load), but I need it to also go through a 20A mcb on the same busbar for overload protection
put the meter after the MCB.

By a remarkable coincidence, I've just installed one of these DIN rail mounting meters this afternoon.
Mounted at the end furthest from the main switch, busbar cut back to clear it.
Three connections to it - a neutral, a live in from the MCB, and a live out to the load.
There are also two other connections that give a pulse output for remote monitoring.

By a remarkable coincidence, I've just installed one of these DIN rail mounting meters this afternoon.
Mounted at the end furthest from the main switch, busbar cut back to clear it.
Three connections to it - a neutral, a live in from the MCB, and a live out to the load.
There are also two other connections that give a pulse output for remote monitoring.
I see! You just cut the last bit of the busbar off. Yes, that is a coincidence ?
Thanks Brian, that all makes sense. Did you fit the DDs238-1 or another model? If another model could you send a link please. Also, I'm guessing this gives cumulative power used, not just live power?

The one I've fitted came in a Rolec box, and is definitely cumulative. It uses old fashioned rotating drums with numbers printed on them, not this LCD stuff, but I'm sure the 'modern' ones still display a cumulative total the same. You just can't read it when the power's off.

Just checking are you protecting a 16 amp socket with a 20 amp mcb . I would use a 20 amp rotary isolator instead of the socket. Other wise you would you would need a 16 amp mcb and rcd protection for the socket outlet

Just checking are you protecting a 16 amp socket with a 20 amp mcb . I would use a 20 amp rotary isolator instead of the socket. Other wise you would you would need a 16 amp mcb and rcd protection for the socket outlet
Quite right! I installed it ages ago, it would be a 16A MCB, don't know why I said 20A

Reply to Meter options for a 16A commando socket? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net