MICC advise needed | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss MICC advise needed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All
I am in the processing of testing a house ready for a new C.U , all circuits check out ok but there is a plastic coated micc feeding a shed in the garden which is glanded onto the top of the original metal rewirable fuse board. I have to extend all original cables to reach the new cu ( being repositioned due to fact its currently to close to gas meter) can anyone advise me the best way to join the micc to T&E so I can extend it.
Many thanks

metal clad through box stuffing gland , join the cpc of the twin and earth to the earthing point on the through box wago the other connections or extend the pyro using pyro using the same method

As nickblake says, just extend through a conduit box :)
but also agree with Engineer54, the ART of MICC is lost now :( The installation of MICC was more skilled then any other cable installation i know, i hated it at first but love working with it now

The previous reply to your query is the only way to go. However I must ask if you dont know this what are you doing as an electrician as this is just basic not rocket science
I never had the privilage of an electrical apprentiship, went into mechanical work instead but spent most of my working life working alongside electricians both good and bad and only in recent years have I become a Electrical Trainee. All of my electrical experience is in domestic and never had to deal with micc, this is the first so thought I would ask the experts. Thanks for the replies.

Agree with Ashrow about pyro, unfortunately being an old xxxx I find it very hard when firms say young electricians cannot do pyro when what they mean is they are not fast doing it. Pyro takes time and when done properly looks the part.

The previous reply to your query is the only way to go. However I must ask if you dont know this what are you doing as an electrician as this is just basic not rocket science
Is it not better to seek advice than just lash it up?

agree strima , as i have always said to young apprentices if in doubt ask and no matter how silly it may be ,its always better to get advise than cock it up and end up creating a mountain rather than having a mole hill ,
Pyro is great stuff still takes me a while to do a pot and the reason is im not doing it all the time just a repair here and there in days gone but i was quick it just takes practice like anything the more you do the quicker you get

Extending a MICC in a domestic i would do via a through box and then T&E
In a church or where MICC is used through out the install then through box and then more MICC (not great when you only need a few inches but must buy in 100 meters lol)

Off topic, just got back from the city of York and went around most old/ancient sites and places to visit, the Merchants Guide Building was the only one i saw wired in MICC completely and who ever did that install was a Trades man :D

If any of you go, dont look at the T&E clipped around the remaining towers into the City, such a shame

agree strima , as i have always said to young apprentices if in doubt ask and no matter how silly it may be ,its always better to get advise than cock it up and end up creating a mountain rather than having a mole hill ,
Pyro is great stuff still takes me a while to do a pot and the reason is im not doing it all the time just a repair here and there in days gone but i was quick it just takes practice like anything the more you do the quicker you get
I've only worked with MICC once and I enjoyed it, took a bit of practice and a few pots but worth the effort in the end. I only get to play with SWA and 35mm DI at the minute so life is a little boring...

Agree always better to ask if you dont know how to proceed than to something wrong all together. May have been a bit harsh in saying it was basic as I am a computer illiterate and I have to ask a lot of silly questions and get strange looks off my lad regards

Reply to MICC advise needed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net