MICC advise needed | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss MICC advise needed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All
I am in the processing of testing a house ready for a new C.U , all circuits check out ok but there is a plastic coated micc feeding a shed in the garden which is glanded onto the top of the original metal rewirable fuse board. I have to extend all original cables to reach the new cu ( being repositioned due to fact its currently to close to gas meter) can anyone advise me the best way to join the micc to T&E so I can extend it.
Many thanks

Agree with Ashrow about pyro, unfortunately being an old xxxx I find it very hard when firms say young electricians cannot do pyro when what they mean is they are not fast doing it. Pyro takes time and when done properly looks the part.

Nope honestly younger sparks actually don't get shown how to gland MICC, I went to college in 2009 as an older apprentice and the only MIC I've ever seen was used as a key ring for the toilet key, I know about the techniques of stuffing it using the wrapper and not getting any moisture on it etc but the college wouldn't teach us be size they said

A) it's very rarely used nowadays and

B) it's too expensive for the college to buy lol.

We only ever used FP

Agree with Ashrow about pyro, unfortunately being an old xxxx I find it very hard when firms say young electricians cannot do pyro when what they mean is they are not fast doing it. Pyro takes time and when done properly looks the part.

Oh i think you'll find there is a bit more to working MICC than that!! I doubt very much if most new sparks have had the opportunity to have ever make an end off. Then there is the technique of dressing the cable and more importantly, knowing it's limitations. One of which is the copper sheath hardening the more times you bend it, say to dress the cable around a difficult obstacle or whatever.

As you say, when an all MICC cable installation has been installed well by guy's that know what they are doing, it is probably the most aesthetic surface wiring method out there. And what's, more will probably outlast the installers time on this earth by a good many years, ....if left in service that long, that is!! lol!!!

I was subbing on schools and public buildings for Sunderland council a couple of years ago, they put me on one job with a newly qualified lad (he knew everything but that's another story). The architect had specified a curtain heater was to be fed in MICC so I ran it in while the young un did a few other things, I told him to make the end off and he went glassy eyed, he didn't even know what it was let alone how to gland it.
I find it really sad that this wiring method is being slowly forgotten in favour of the so called cheaper option of FP. As E54 said earlier, a well installed MICC will outlast anyone on this forum today. There's some stuff that I put in as an apprentice that is still going strong.

Nope honestly younger sparks actually don't get shown how to gland MICC, I went to college in 2009 as an older apprentice and the only MIC I've ever seen was used as a key ring for the toilet key, I know about the techniques of stuffing it using the wrapper and not getting any moisture on it etc but the college wouldn't teach us be size they said

A) it's very rarely used nowadays and

B) it's too expensive for the college to buy lol.

We only ever used FP

Did apprenticeship in the 70's and, to tell you the truth, I can't remember touching pyro at college. All experience gained was on the job, taught by people 'in the know'. Plenty practice is a great help but the main thing is good teaching on the job.
No thoughts, then, of photographing control panels with dozens of cables dressed to perfection although, I must admit it would be nice to recollect. Now it's a case of posting the latest domestic cu, completed neatly and with pride. ha!

Reply to MICC advise needed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net