mileage rates | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss mileage rates in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

lurch

-
Reaction score
Hi

Just wonderd what mileage rates you guys charge when working on a hourly/day rate basis.

Thanks in advance

just to add: I have a basic hourly rate that I charge. If in a 20 mile radius I would not normally charge any extra, and any travelling time is charged at the day rate. However I have been called to a job that involves 120 mile round trip. Hope this helps

just to add: I have a basic hourly rate that I charge. If in a 20 mile radius I would not normally charge any extra, and any travelling time is charged at the day rate. However I have been called to a job that involves 120 mile round trip. Hope this helps

We do some work for a national chain and we charge £0.65 pm if its over 20m away

The rate that HMRC allow is irrelevant to business mileage charges, it is merely the rate that a company can pay its employees for use of their private vehicle without the monies becoming a "benefit in kind" as classed by HMRC with respect to income tax.
The HMRC rate will only come into effect if you are employed by your company and use your own private vehicle for business use, in which case it will also have to be insured for business use.
If you are self-employed then you can't really claim 40p per mile from yourself can you!
Your vehicle would be a business overhead, thus the insurance, fuel etc. would all be offset against your profits etc. with regard to taxation.
As a business you can charge your clients whatever you like.
If you are employed by your "own" limited company then I would expect the vehicle, insurance, fuel, etc to be paid for by the company, thus there is no personal benefit to you, so as long as your books are in order, there is no relationship between the HMRC rate & what the company claims, or charges as the company does not pay income tax.
I currently charge 50p per mile for the van, fuel, vehicle insurance etc. travel time is at my normal hourly rate on top of this.

I charge my normal hourly rate for all travel time but no mileage charge. This means, of course, that I'm more competitive the closer the customer is to me, which suits me just fine.

I do know that the gas fitter that my parents used charged time and mileage, like netblindpaul.

Reply to mileage rates in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net