Currently reading:
Moisture in floor advice...please Discussion Thread

Discuss Moisture in floor advice...please Discussion Thread in the Tilers Forums area at ElectriciansForums.net

Moisture in floor advice...please

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970
bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds. Chunks of what i assume is self leveller or maybe screed (?) came up with them.
Left with Concrete slab. laid insulated coated (cement topped) tile backer boards (marmox) using a thick amount of flexible tile adhesive to make floor completely level. Laid 6mm marine ply over top of boards and then vinyl (for warmth).
Fast fwd 12 months, pinky stains through vinyl. Took it up, mould on underside of vinyl.
Took 6mm marine ply up, seems a bit brittle like it has moisture but nothing too bad. Bought floor hygrometer placed on backer boards and after 24 hours it's showing 75% (and it's been dry here for weeks).
So quite high.

I'm guessing I need a dpm and I know it should go under the tile backer boards but I don't want/can't take them all up (glass shower and tray is in) so I dont want to take that out again nor be using sds in there taking up all the tile adhesive underneath with chips flying everywhere. Ps. I cant add much more height.

I've bought tiles (porcelain, impervious to moisture) which should be more moisture forgiving than vinyl. Can I use a liquid dpm on top of the cement topped tile backer boards? Or even a normal dpm? Or am I better with some sort of ditra mat type thing and then tile on top of that? Ideally I'd like electric ufh with the tiles but realise that may make the relative humidity worse.

I know everyone will say take the tile backer boards up , lay dpm and put new tile backer then electric ufh then tile. But just checking if I can do anything else on top of existing backer boards....... 🙏 picture to show type of backer board as i was taking marine ply up. The stains on the top side of ply are just the old vinyl glue not water as such.

Moisture in floor advice...please for the Original Article on Tiling Advice Forum

Reply to Moisture in floor advice...please Discussion Thread in the Tilers Forums area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock