Currently reading:
UK Electrician looking to move to Australia 2025

Discuss UK Electrician looking to move to Australia 2025 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Everyone
Looking for some advice/help with contacts. I have been a fully qualified electrician for two years and I am currently working in the healthcare sector. I have previous industrial/commercial experience as this is what I done during my apprenticeship. I am now looking at possibly doing a working holiday/year or two in Australia from the start of next year as I am keen to see the world and find working in the UK pretty stagnant at the moment. Is the best way to go about this to sign up for agencies as a skilled labourer? or has anyone done or know anyone know has done something similar to this that I could possibly be put in contact with? any help appreciated!

I am going back to the 1990s now, but I know of 2 Brits sparks who both moved to Auz and both got jobs working as sparkies in the mining industy over there. I believe intially on 2 year working Visa, but both now live there.

I am going back to the 1990s now, but I know of 2 Brits sparks who both moved to Auz and both got jobs working as sparkies in the mining industy over there. I believe intially on 2 year working Visa, but both now live there
Hoping for much of the same. Rarely meet anyone who has been over and regrets it if anyone. Just looking for a new experience and culture away from the usual UK stuff. Become mundane. Going to go over there open minded snd hopefully just network and find my way! Thanks for the response!!

From what I have been told 'electricians' are viewed as proper skilled trades and held in much higher standing there, than we are here in the Uk where we are seen as nothing more than handymen by most people.

I believe that electricians are a restricted profession in Australia so you must have the required local qualifications and be registered. This goes well beyond part P in the UK, etc, and is more like the need to be Corgi/GasSafe registered by law.

I believe that electricians are a restricted profession in Australia so you must have the required local qualifications and be registered. This goes well beyond part P in the UK, etc, and is more like the need to be Corgi/GasSafe registered by law.
Correct. Each State has it's own licence which has to be applied for after satisfying a bunch of things - including a minimum 6 month 'tutorage' under an existing licenced electrician. If you want to set up on your own you then also have to apply for a permit to run/own a business for which there is then additional criteria.

The better news is that if you're under 46 then you can apply for a sponsored visa, otherwise there's no real route to get in anymore. Look up 'the down under centre' here in the UK, they'll give you absolutely everything you need to know.

As my other half is Australian, this is a knowledge area I know and understand well.

The tutoridge is 12 months everywhere now is my understanding, realistically sponsorship is the probably the only sensible way to spend the 2 years. There's tons of $ in mining but be warned, a lot of it is in some very remote places!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to UK Electrician looking to move to Australia 2025 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock