Motorhome Electrics | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Motorhome Electrics in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I've seen a few posts here which tend to suggest that wiring in a motorhome (or caravan) wouldn't be subject to normal inspection rules, but even so that doesn't mean it shouldn't be done properly!

So, here's the background: My van was built a few years ago, so it doesn't have double pole MCBs, although the ELCB is double pole. There is no main isolator (other than the ELCB) and it's a very small consumer unit (four ways) and I don't have room to fit a bigger one unless I can find a very narrow one that has more ways. I've just fitted an inverter and want to power the mains sockets when I'm not on site hookup (EHU) however to avoid the power going round in circles I need to stop the battery charger (and the fridge) from being powered by the inverter, which will be wired through a changeover switch (or maybe a relay/contactor) to stop the EHU input plug becoming live and the possibility of the inverter output becoming connected to the mains!

Questions:

1) Do consumer units have to always be metal now?
2) Do I have to have a main isolator?

I'm thinking that I'll replace the current ELCB and two MCBs with four RCBOs, one each for fridge, battery charger, heating and sockets. The first three will always be fed from the EHU supply, and the last switched between the inverter and EHU. Ideally I'd like to have room to fit a contactor with the coil fed from the EHU in the consumer unit as well, but that needs to be double pole and carry 16A, so I don't think I can get one that will only take up one way, even if I can find a five way consumer unit that will fit in the space of the current one.

Answers/Comments please! Thanks, Graham

Reply to Motorhome Electrics in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net