Need some advice with an Earth problem | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Need some advice with an Earth problem in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

netsniperthe1st

First of all can I apologise if this is in the wrong forum :rolleyes:

I have a little problem? I bought a house in Russe Bulgaria which was recently built but looking at the wiring it doesn't seem to have an earth :eek: well not as we know it in the uk? how they do it there is the take a small piece of wire from the neutral and link it into the earth terminal so in affect the neutral became the earth as well, what I want to know is how safe is this and is there anything I can do to make it safer? the fuse board has those automatic things that switch off when a bulb goes or there is some other problem, the voltage is around 230 and there is 2 separate power cables that come to the house overhead, any advice would be much appreciated

Thank you ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all can I apologise if this is in the wrong forum :rolleyes:

I have a little problem? I bought a house in Bulgaria which was recently built but looking at the wiring it doesn't seem to have an earth :eek: well not as we know it in the uk? how they do it there is the take a small piece of wire from the neutral and link it into the earth terminal so in affect the neutral became the earth as well, what I want to know is how safe is this and is there anything I can do to make it safer? the fuse board has those automatic things that switch off when a bulb goes or there is some other problem, the voltage is around 230 and there is 2 separate power cables that come to the house overhead, any advice would be much appreciated

Thank you ;)
sounds like a version of what we do in this country called, TN C S or PME and basically the earth is combined with the neutral, so I would say it sounds alright.

Did you get any sort of electrical test certificate when you bought the house? if not it might be an idea to get a test/inspection done, this would show if the earth was adequate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi robdav99, thank you for your reply, no we didn't get any certificate I don't think they issue them over there, and to get it tested wouldn't really mean too much they would simply come along stick their meter on the system and then hold out there hand for payment telling you what they think you want to hear?as you say is does sound like something we did in the uk in the 1940s or there about's, but in your professional opinion you think its of without and earth like we have in the uk and do you think there is anything I can do to make it any safer?

Thank you :)

TN-C-S, the customer is provided with a connection to the System Neutral to use as their main earth. The Neutral will be earthed at the star point of the supply transformer, again at the end of the main, at or beyond the connection of the furthest customer on that cable. In addition, earths are added to the neutral along the main at appropriate points, to reduce the System Neutral to earth potential under normal conditions, and to limit the potential on the System Neutral compared to earth in the event of a break occurring on the Neutral conductor back towards the supply transformer.

We still use PME/TN-C-S now, it sounds like what you have there.

Well you have just blown my mind with all that information which I didn't understand at all, but from what I did understand the system that is used in Bulgaria is still used in some situations in the uk? so I can take it that it must be safe then ?

Thank you

What me and Lenny are trying to say is that it is perfectly acceptable for your property to be earthed in that way and providing it is all connected correctly it should have a very good, low impedance earth.

pme on overhead lines is highly unlikley, and do they use an eath in bulgaria, i would find an electrician who speaks english, if you are a bit unsure get him to take the front of the distribution board off and do an earth fault loop impedance test, so you are not putting yourself in any danger.

Thank you folks for all the help here, to get an English speaking electrician in Bulgaria would be like looking for rocking horse poo, so if I was to but myself a meter would it be an easy task for me to carry out? and are there any instructions with pics anywhere I could look at to help me?

Thank you

Thank you folks for all the help here, to get an English speaking electrician in Bulgaria would be like looking for rocking horse poo, so if I was to but myself a meter would it be an easy task for me to carry out? and are there any instructions with pics anywhere I could look at to help me?

Thank you

No it would be extremely dangerous for someone not competent to do so to attempt to carry out.

Thank you

If you dont know what your doing leave it well alone as you could kill yourself

pme on overhead lines is highly unlikley

Exactly

but an earth fault loop impedance test would come up fine, no?
Depending how far you are from the transformer, there may be some potential difference (= voltage) between the "earth" at the supply transformer (and so in your installation) and the "earth" beneath your feet. it *may* have the ability to cause a shock.
to stay on the safe side you could try and ask the energy company about their earthing, or get an eath electrode put in! (i don't know if they would appreciate that)

But i would seek advice from someone who can see exactly what your situation is.

Thank you for you reply can you tell then is putting an earth electrode in an easy enough job to do ? the problem with asking anyone in Bulgaria anything is the language barrier, so I always have difficulties with the simplest of problems

Thank you

if you're considering altering the earthing you should to talk to the energy company, since the alterations will effect their system too. They must have someone who speaks english.

OK I don't understand very well english but..
I understand your question properly.
If in your bulgarian house have 3 wire I mean 1 for L, 1 for N and 1 for eart .....
OK please make some pictures of the installation (fuse box and contacts) and send them to me on my e-mail [email protected]. I am electrician engineer, I live and work in Bulgaria as a electrician in construction and I would assist you to make everything as safe as in England.

Regards
P.Passev

Reply to Need some advice with an Earth problem in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net