Need some advice with an Earth problem | Page 3 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Need some advice with an Earth problem in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

netsniperthe1st

First of all can I apologise if this is in the wrong forum :rolleyes:

I have a little problem? I bought a house in Russe Bulgaria which was recently built but looking at the wiring it doesn't seem to have an earth :eek: well not as we know it in the uk? how they do it there is the take a small piece of wire from the neutral and link it into the earth terminal so in affect the neutral became the earth as well, what I want to know is how safe is this and is there anything I can do to make it safer? the fuse board has those automatic things that switch off when a bulb goes or there is some other problem, the voltage is around 230 and there is 2 separate power cables that come to the house overhead, any advice would be much appreciated

Thank you ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Firstly I gather from your previous threads that you are unfamiliar with electrical installation and that previous contributors have also suggested an earth rod or electrod. Your best bet is to find where all the main earths connect at your main consumer unit and from there take an adequate sized cable .... the uk suggests at least 16mm earth .... then run it to a earth rod ( basically a meter long length of solid copper driven into suitable soil and allowing for the footings of the property fairly close to the house and consumer unit) . I would also suggest you investigate your supply cable into the property if it is run underground . Connect the two ends ( one to your rod and the other to your main earth on your consumer unit) . If you are unsure then find a competent English speaking Electrician !!!!!

Your best bet is to find where all the main earths connect at your main consumer unit and from there take an adequate sized cable

That's my point there are no earth cables anywhere, they use the Neutral as the earth for example at a socket which is 2 in but with a little metal bit that makes contact with the plug as the earth when wired you have the positive and the negative and then a small piece of wire which is taken from the neutral to this bit of metal I mentioned so all in all the negative acts as the earth

:)

That's my point there are no earth cables anywhere, they use the Neutral as the earth for example at a socket which is 2 in but with a little metal bit that makes contact with the plug as the earth when wired you have the positive and the negative and then a small piece of wire which is taken from the neutral to this bit of metal I mentioned so all in all the negative acts as the earth

Oh I see so its not just the mains its the appliances too . I am wondering if a addition of an earth rod would create a problem you dont need

Here is a pic of the Socket and the plug as to can see its only got 2 pins, but you can also see some metal in the socket and on the plug this is where the earth contact is but its only achieved as I said above by looping from the neutral, there is no earth as we know it in the UK? all the appliances that I bought have three wires as normal but the house power only has 2

[ElectriciansForums.net] Need some advice with an Earth problem

Last edited by a moderator:
well i am out of my league with this . It certainly seems as though the neutral is connected to the earth as said before in a sort of `tn-c-s` fashion . All I can say is seek local English priofessional help and the best of luck with it all .

Hi,

Sounds like a TN-C to me .... earth and neutral combined
on the consumer side ...illegal in the UK as far as I know -
ESQCR 2002 (except in special installations).
I'm not sure how safe it is and I don't know what to advise you to do,
sorry.

Was just wondering:confused:

would there be any advantages of dualing up TN-C-S, TN-C ect with TT by driving a rod connected to the main equipotential bond.

I know a lot of sparks do this if running out to an out build but what about at the main supply point.

any thoughts on this?

Reply to Need some advice with an Earth problem in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net