Need some advice | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Need some advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Daniels92

DIY
Reaction score
Hi,
I removed some fitted wardrobes in my spare bedroom and came across this socket. I have no idea what it was used for / can be used for? Could just a normal plug socket be wired into this?
thanks.

Attachments

• [ElectriciansForums.net] Need some advice
    E65F8056-8B80-4412-9BF9-ED106CEA137B.jpeg
    362.7 KB · Views: 63
Yes. It looks like part of the socket circuit. What we would call an RFC. Ring final circuit.

it appears to pass through the box and go to possibly another socket on the back side of the wall.

not knowing your own competency level, I would suggest getting a professional in. At the moment it is in a potentially dangerous state if disturbed further.

You might want to check with some other sockets. It is possible, likely in fact, that you place was rewired in PVC insulated cable ("twin and earth") but some sockets were not rewired and just blanked off, or disconnected and forgotten about when behind large objects that were not easily moved.

If you do have the old VIR (vulcanised Indian rubber) wire in use it is a bad sign as it is very prone to perishing and presenting a risk of short circuit / fire as a result. Typically VIR cable was last used in the early 60s (I think).

It appears to be TRS - Tough Rubber Sheathed - which is likely to be over 60 years old. The question as above is whether that point is actually in circuit, or just abandoned during a rewire. If the latter, then obviously no use re the original question of fitting a point there. If it is still in use, don't panic, the visible parts of the insulation do not look as perished as they often are, but nonetheless it should not be expected to last much longer and might be in worse condition elsewhere. That point, which by its three cables suggests a ring point with a spur, should not have been left unconvered anyway.

Have you had an EICR (Electrical Installation Condition Report) done at any time or was one done when you got the house? That would identify whether any old cable was found elsewhere. Or do you know of a date when it was definitely rewired?

Reply to Need some advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net