New 18th Edition. | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss New 18th Edition. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Had my Elecsa assessment today and asked about proposed changes in the 18th and one that was mentioned was the possibility of a requirement for C.U 's to be all RCBO as standard to avoid nuisence tripping.

Best that they RAM HOME to some of the muppets that a single RCD board isn't acceptable and spell it out in the regs properly then.

Me thinks BEAMA have got in on the act and want this as a revenue and profit making activity!

So the 18th edition rumour mill has started, kicked off at a meeting that discusses as part of it's agenda some proposed changes to the regs
It all smacks of the start of speculative drips of information feeding the system to lessen the impact of the next regs book or to get feed back on what they can get away with adding to be able to justify the cost of all the extra baggage that will no doubt come with the book

Had my Elecsa assessment today and asked about proposed changes in the 18th and one that was mentioned was the possibility of a requirement for C.U 's to be all RCBO as standard to avoid nuisence tripping.

I would have to ask him what research and resulting information drives this idea that in a properly designed and constructed installation nuisance tripping is now the latest major issue after the plastic CU debacle. Or are they now deciding that installation design by proxy is the way forward to reduce the training needed to enter the industry even more than it is now.

What price can you put on safety this may just stop people upgrading older installations for no good reason

This industry is just becoming a cash cow for fleecing everyone on the tools when you look at the cost the 17th has placed on electricians since it's introduction it is becoming a significant overhead keeping up to date

So the 18th edition rumour mill has started, kicked off at a meeting that discusses as part of it's agenda some proposed changes to the regs
It all smacks of the start of speculative drips of information feeding the system to lessen the impact of the next regs book or to get feed back on what they can get away with adding to be able to justify the cost of all the extra baggage that will no doubt come with the book

I would have to ask him what research and resulting information drives this idea that in a properly designed and constructed installation nuisance tripping is now the latest major issue after the plastic CU debacle. Or are they now deciding that installation design by proxy is the way forward to reduce the training needed to enter the industry even more than it is now.

What price can you put on safety this may just stop people upgrading older installations for no good reason

This industry is just becoming a cash cow for fleecing everyone on the tools when you look at the cost the 17th has placed on electricians since it's introduction it is becoming a significant overhead keeping up to date

I must move on a different plane than it seems to me just about everyone else on this forum.

I don't feel that the introduction of the 17th had a major 'impact' on me. Of course things changed but it was no big deal. I certainly do not see it as extra baggage
I don't think the metal CU reg is a debacle
I do not fell that I'm being fleeced by anyone in particular, there are overheads relating to regs changes, but it is not as you say 'significant'
Keeping up to date is easy really.

Every time a new regs book comes out the speculation starts immediately on the next one.
The 18th will come out eventually and the members on here that got het up over the 17th ed will be moaning about whatever it brings.

I'll even bet on it, I'm down to win a pint off Spinlondon, I'll wager that.

I don't know the workings of RCDs inside out. But I presume that over time the mA threshold can change, which is not a bad thing to have documented. I understand what you are saying, but given that it takes no time to carry out I prefer to record it.

OSG shows the internals of an RCD if it's keeping you awake at nights?! Lol

I find it a bit odd that we don't test MCBs functionality.

When doing EIC & EICR's I always do a functional check on MCB's prior to taking Zs readings, i.e. MCB off no reading, MCB on ohms given.

Reply to New 18th Edition. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net